We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viewing the Wiltshire horses, (and Uffington horse)

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
324 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Viewing the Wiltshire horses, (and Uffington horse)

Late March we will be in the area, and would like to see several of the horses. ( wont have time to visit them all)

Are any better than others?

Which of the horses are the best to view should the weather be overcast ( highly likely according to past weather records) do you need to be a reasonable distance away to view them?

I realise its not the correct forum.....but is the Uffington Horse able to be seen in its entirety from anywhere? Is it worth the trip to try see if from the ground really is what I am wanting to know.....most pictures I see of it are taken from the air.

Thanks

Sharon

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Viewing the Wiltshire horses, (and Uffington horse)

You will have decent roadside lay-by parking in Alton Barnes village for the white horse of the same name. It's south facing so it can catch the sun for most of the day if it's shining.

On the A4 you can pull in a farm track which leads up to the Lansdowne Monument and the Cherhill White Horse. This one will be in shadow for most of the early part of the day.

I find the Westbury White Horse looking the brightest as it was cleaned up only last year.

At Uffingdon, the ancient horse there has the best views from the air, or possibly further away, even back out on the A470. The nearer you are, the lower down below the ridge you'll be, so you'll have to climb up and be level with it to see most of it and then it'll be below your feet. Not ideal for a photograph, the more recent ones are better for that.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 20:05
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viewing the Wiltshire horses, (and Uffington horse)

The most useful websites for White Horses are www.wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk and www.nationaltrust.org.uk/white-horse-hill

Yes, the Uffington White Horse, the most ancient, may be seen in its entirety, from across the Vale of White Horse ,on the B4508 between Longcot and Fernham. At that distance it appears only about one and a half inckes long from muzzle to tip of tail. However, it is easy to visit, being well-signposted off the B4507 between Wantage and Ashbury. There is a large car park from which a footpath leads upwards, across a windswept field. The last part of the walk, after crossing the loop road, is steep. Unfortunately, it is impossible to photograph the entire horse up here because of the undulating ground but the details may be examined and there are fine views to the north.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viewing the Wiltshire horses, (and Uffington horse)

Hi there

The most difficult one to see is the tiny horse at Preshute, as it's tucked away on a very shallow hillside behind Marlborough College. It has a good story behind it but if your time is limited, I wouldn't bother with it. Devizes' own Millennium horse is a very recent addition to the eight horses and can be seen from various vantage points around the town. Apart from being "new", it is the only one to face to the right.

Broad Town horse can be hard to see as well unless you are heading into the village from the west. Hackpen is small too and on a shallow hillside and is best seen from the main Swindon to Beckhampton road. The Pewsey horse is quite small and there are few places from where you get a good view without a large telephoto lens ( at least 300mm)

The easiest to see, in my opinion, should the weather be bad would be Cherhill, Westbury and Alton Barnes. If you leave your car at the base of the track at Cherhill, don't leave any valuables on show in the car as there are often opportunist thieves waiting for people to get halfway up the track. It might be an idea to ask the landlord of the Black Horse pub on the opposite side of the road if you could park there, I doubt he'd mind as long as you bought a drink there once finished.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viewing the Wiltshire horses, (and Uffington horse)

I agree with the comments already posted. There are some great views of the horses when approaching on foot and it's also nice to get up close to appreciate how big they actually are.

Somewhere in these forums is a thread with comments about the best viewpoints for the Uffington horse.

This little book is useful amazon.co.uk/White-Horses-Wiltshire-Uffingto…

- you can buy it in some local shops & museums too.

I've found the other thread: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186413-i11685-k…

Edited: 22 October 2013, 09:59
5. Re: Viewing the Wiltshire horses, (and Uffington horse)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2017, 18:18