We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Avebury via public transport?

Which Avebury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA USA
Level Contributor
11 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
London to Avebury via public transport?

Hello,

Is there a way to get from London to Avebury via a train or bus or combination? My son and I will be in London next week, and I'd like to take him to see the stones.

many thanks,

Susan.

9 replies to this topic
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

yes, its easy, but you do have to coordinate with the buses. Its London to Swindon (from Paddington), a short walk to the bus terminal, and then a 25 minute ride to Avebury. I think you can get the schedules at traveline.org.uk. I've done it several times. It is worth planning time to walk over to West Kennet Long Barrow as well.

You may be too late for reasonable train fares, though.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

The bus you need to take from Swindon to Avebury is route 49 - the timetable is available here:

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_866_4… .

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

Transport links may be found on this site - www.travelinesw.com - and the bus stops are across the road from Swindon railway station.

The bus route passes a White Horse (look to the left once past The Bell pub by the roadside at Broad Hinton) and I suggest that, instead of getting off at the head of Avebury village, you remain on the bus until the next stop - West Kennet. This places you conveniently close to the West Kennet barrow and Silbury hill - which you may explore before walking back uphill along the Avenue (amongst the stones rather than on the road) and so to the circles.

I always suggest "exploring" the area via Google satellite pictures to get an idea of the general layout, position of bus-stops and so on - but note that Google have mis-placed both the Red Lion pub and the Manor.

For more information, see:-

www.wiltshiretouristguide.com

www.wiltshireheritage.org.uk

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

Sorry pausilypon, bus 49 does not go to West Kennett - to get to the Longbarrow you would need to walk from Avebury, or stay on bus 49 to Beckhampton Roundabout - either way it is about a 1 mile walk.

The bus you are thinking of is bus 96 which stopped operating a few weeks ago. The only bus now from Swindon to Avebury is bus 49, although there is a "Connect 2 Wiltshire" bus that runs from Avebury to West Kennett approcimately once per hour as well.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

Thanks for the correction, Phil-the-bus - obviously, I was not aware of recent changes (always visited Avebury by car!).

My apologies!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

If you do want to visit West Kennet Long Barrow, there is a pretty footpath which passes Silbury Hill. Go across the road at the end of the main car park, through a gate and its easy to follow. The return can be along the Avenue as has been suggested.

Houston, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

So this is long after this conversation was posted, but where do I buy the bus ticket for bus 49? Do I pick that up at Paddington at beginning of day, and does it also cover the return?

London, United...
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

Buy the bus ticket from the driver when you get on, the return (round trip) fare is £4.80. Have the exact fare ready if possible because drivers carry a limited amount of change - certainly avoid offering a £20 note! You can download the current 49 timetable and check fares here: www.stagecoachbus.com

Houston, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Avebury via public transport?

Thanks! having exact change can be a challenge when you're only in the country for a couple of days. But at least if I have a tenner for a return trip for two, I won't worry much if there is no change!

Reply to: London to Avebury via public transport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted