We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time in Avebury

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Time in Avebury

How much time should we allow to visit the sights in Avebury. Thank you very much.

9 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time in Avebury

Between 10 minutes and 3 hours. It depends on you.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time in Avebury

If you visit just the stones/henge/ditch at the village and have a look at the souvenir shops, I'd say about an hour minimum.

If you want to do the whole Avebury experience including walking the Avenue to the Sanctuary, visiting Kennet Long Barrow, maybe Swallowhead springs, then back along the river passing close to Silbury Hill I'd suggest at least 4 hours - it'll be at least a 7 mile walk.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time in Avebury

And to take the middle ground of: visiting Stones / shops / village and drive past the Avenue to West Kennet Long Barrow; walk to the LB and back, maybe a couple of hours :-) Maybe more if you stop for lunch aswell.

Wiltshire, England
Level Contributor
307 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time in Avebury

As long as you have.......

If you have time and like to walk, it's worth going to Windmill Hill and Fyfield Down as well as the sights mentioned above.

Then there are the 2 museums and the Manor garden so more time if you wish to visit them too.

Here are some walks which take in some of the sights. nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-avebury-walk.pdf

greatwalksinbritain.co.uk/Editions/Walks/Wil…

theaa.com/walks/avebury-pagan-pastures-421204

http://www.walkweb.org.uk/w27_information.htm

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time in Avebury

Assuming that you have your own transport and can drive from one convenient parking spot to another ............ half a day minimum for the Avebury stones, Silbury hill and West Kennet long barrow. If you have far to drive from your home base, allow a full day - to include a picnic (there are picnic tables at Silbury hill, for example) or a pub lunch; the small museum at Avebury and a browse through the rather enticing shop, slightly downhill from the Post Office. (See www.hengeshop.com).

I would look upon it as a full day out.

However, if you are relying on public transport, you may have to trim your excursion to mesh with the transport options:-

www.travelinesw.com

www.stonehenge-avebury-bus.org.uk

Perth
Level Contributor
126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time in Avebury

Notwithstanding that everyone has a different perspective on what is interesting and what is not. I respectfully query the point of going to Avebury.

We had been informed that Avebury was better to see than Stonehenge but we found Avebury very underwhelming.

It is a circle of stones but many of the stone are missing and others have been replaced with stone bollards.

Over the many many years these stones have existed I would expect some to be knocked over or taken but it really stretched the imagination to visualize the circle of Avebury.

At least Stonehenge looks like something.

But we didn't get there so we can't comment.

The walks are lovely walks but if the purpose of the walk is to see Silbury Hill then again we found that underwhelming.

A large, but not that large, grassed mound.

I wouldn't have called it a hill.

We had a lovely time in the area and the countryside is beautiful to drive through but we felt that neither Avebury or Silbury Hill were worth deviating for especially when travelers like us have limited time to see so much.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,283 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time in Avebury

Plus a couple of hours in the pub! ;)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time in Avebury

You're allowed to not like Avebury, it's ok! (And anyway, I'm in the 'Stonehenge is better than Avebury' camp ☺)

I agree that in a way it's harder to visualise Avebury because it's divided up by the buildings, and the 'vandalism' of previous centuries. It seems very higgledy piggledy. However, it IS interesting because of the religious / fertility rites aspect to it, which is more apparent than at Stonehenge. The history of the desecration and destruction of Avebury is interesting as much as it saddens me.

Silbury isn't a hill anyway, but the largest, oldest (?) pre-industrial man-made mound, and you have to ask yourself, why did neolithic man build it? But having said that, you're right: it's just a mound you can't climb up. But did you walk over the fields to West Kennet Long Barrow? That's pretty cool (except on the days when the rain is striking you full pelt, and the wind has frozen your nose and ears)

It also helps to consider the landscape of the whole area, as you shouldn't 'read' Avebury in isolation. It needs to be joined up with Silbury Hill, the long barrows, the Sanctuary, Windmill Hill etc etc and how it fits in with Stonehenge (nah, don't ask me!) to the south, and suddenly it becomes awe-inspiring! (in my humble opinion of course).

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time in Avebury

I agree with what Gilliganuk says - except for the first paragraph, naturally! Avebury is rather more than an incomplete stone circle and avenue - did you notice, for example, the faces on some of the stones (admittedly, only visible at certain times of day) and wonder how they were used in the ceremonies?

Actually, the Rollright stones, not far away, might be a better introduction to stone circles in general as the circle is complete and the related King stone and Whispering Knights are in good condition.

But I appreciate that not everyone enthuses over old stones and mysterious mounds.

Reply to: Time in Avebury
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted