We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to salisbury from heathrow?

Which Salisbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
getting to salisbury from heathrow?

Hi everyone,

I have learned so much through reading all the posts in tripadvisor re the countries that I am going.So many interesting people.I am taking my 9 and 10year old daughters to England for a week then France and Italy for a month,finishing with 6 days in England.It's been a dilema sorting out just where and what but I've settled on Salisbury for a week and doing day trips.I'm wondering how is the best way to get directly to Salisbury from Heathrow with the girls and a pull along each?Is it possible to take a train to a town on a whim or would I have to hire a car?I would rather not do that as I'm not sure I'd be confident.We're arriving Sept 22.

Thank you in advance,your time and effort is much appreciated

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

To get from Heathrow to Salisbury, you take the Rail air link bus to Woking, and train from Woking to Salisbury. See:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/TravelInformation/Onward+transport+links/Airport+links.htm

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

It's a long taxi ride, but there is a train from Waterloo Station direct to Heathrow.

I'd recommend (as I haven't done it for you!) looking at www.rail.co.uk, then live timetables, where you will be able to look at train times and connections from London Heathrow to Salisbury.

Salisbury train station is very central to Salisbury, and it should only be a short taxi ride to wherever you are staying.

Hope that helps at all!

Dave M

Salisbury
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

Ron was correct. You might findwww. visitsalisbury.com useful. Have a good trip. from Wenda at Cathedral View in Salisbury.

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

Sorry Mosschops - theres no direct train link from Waterloo to Heathrow, trains to and from Heathrow go into Paddington, you could use the underground from Heathrow to Waterloo but thats not direct and requires a line change. Main line trains run from Waterloo to Salisbury.

Salisbury
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

Hope you enjoy your stay in Salisbury. The quickest by train is, as someone has already said, the rail-air link bus from Heathrow (think it picks up at all terminals) to Woking and then the train. Woking to Salisbury takes an hour but you'd need to allow about two hours for the whole trip. Alternatively, there are National Express coaches which go direct from the central bus station at Heathrow to Salisbury Bus Station in the city centre. Much cheaper and probably easier than the train but a lot less frequent. You could check times and fares on-line though. Good luck!

Melksham
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

I've just had a look at the National Express website and it told me that there are three direct buses from Heathrow to Salisbury (they leave Heathrow at 11:45, 16:55 and 20:10) on 22nd of this month. Quickest journey is 2 hours. Cost 27.20 for one adult and two children. Takes you from Heathrow Central bus station to Endless street bus station in the centre of Salisbury.

New York
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

I've come across this site a few years late but I need to do the Heathrow/Salisbury trip this year. I'm told the coach trip is the best. What link do I go to to find out the current timetable?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

The coach service direct from Heathrow (Central Bus Station) to Salisbury is run by National Express. The web site is www.nationalexpress.com - if the direct link is important to you, be sure to pay attention to the "number of changes" column in the search result, because they will show you services for which you need to change in SOuthampton or Bristol as well as direct ones.

Alternatively, you get Rail-Air Link coach from Heathrow CBS to Woking and get the train from there. For information that, go to www.heathrowairport.com/, click the "To And From Heathrow" link near the top of the page, then click "Underground ANd Trains" on the left, and when that expands click on "RailAir" and follow the instructions.

New York
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

Thank you so much for the good advice. Yes, I noticed that sneaky little column!

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting to salisbury from heathrow?

Just to clarify, this is one of those journeys where the Nat X coach probably won't be the best alternative as there are so few of them (and the first and last ones take ages as the call at Southampton first.

If your flight is late and you miss the Coach you are booked on, it will be a long wait until the next one.

The Railair Link is more expensive but much more sensible as the trains from Woking run every 30 minutes (and are the same ones that come from London Waterloo).