We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salisbury from Southampton

Ormond Beach...
2 posts
Save Topic
Salisbury from Southampton

We are arriving on a cruise ship in Southampton in April. We want to get to Salisbury, stay overnight and then on to Bath and stay overnight before going to London. Are there any travel options other than renting a car? Valerie

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salisbury from Southampton

There is direct train service between all those locations. You can get schedules and fares at www.nationalrail.co.uk

If it were me, I would choose the train, since a car is of no use while visiting the sights in Bath or Salisbury.

Wiltshire,UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salisbury from Southampton

Yes definately the train.

You will love both cities they are wonderful.

Leeds, North Yorks
Level Contributor
8 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salisbury from Southampton

Dont forget to visit stonehenge when you visit Salisbury.

There is a bus service that goes directly from outside the rail station - very simple indeed.

Salisbury has Wilton House - a very impressive country house to visit

- and a fabulous catherdral with important docuements and if you book - you can climb the tower all the way up to the Christopher Wren old oak beams high up - well well worth it (My 83 year old dad survived the experience)

Very simple trip from Southampton to Bath via salisbury - train times all online at networkrail.uk

Ormond Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salisbury from Southampton

Thanks to everyone who responded. The train seems the way to go. We do plan to visit Stonehenge by taking the bus. Valerie