We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge and Bath

Louisiana
Level Contributor
48 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Stonehenge and Bath

Having heard much advice to avoid Stonehenge, we must do it while we are there, so.... If we take early train from London to Stonehenge and do minimal touring there, is it still possible to travel on via train to Bath and do a small amount of sightseeing there? My group is not too big on in-depth sightseeing, but as a history teacher I will have to at least set foot in both places while I am there. It matters not that my group will be on the last train back to London from Bath! Any suggestions or ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Spire Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Salisbury Punting
Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
New Forest Walking Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,558 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge and Bath

You can take the train to Salisbury from Waterloo. The bus stops right outside the station, see Stonehenge back to Salisbury station and then on to Bath. As you realise you won't have a great deal of time in Bath but enough to see the Baths and a quick walk around the time. And back to Paddington by train.

Many people think Stonehenge isn't worth it bit it's so unique IMHO it's worth it.

Sadly you will miss Salisbury with its wonderful Cathedral. Another easier trip could be just Salisbury and Stonehenge.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Louisiana
Level Contributor
48 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge and Bath

I have already explained to my group that on some days they will have to get up early and be ready to sightsee! I'm afraid I am a bit of a planner/organizer and we will have a schedule for days like this. I am glad you mentioned the bus at the Salisbury station--any particular company we should use for the trip out to Stonehenge? Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,557 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge and Bath

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/index.shtml is the only bus company that operates from Salisbury to Stonehenge.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge and Bath

Your journey will consist of going from London Waterloo to Salisbury, tour bus from there to Stonehenge and back, train from Salisbury to Bath then train from Bath to London Paddington.

Three different train operators, two different London termini, one bus company.

Cheaper and more convenient by organised tour bus. Check out prices at London Toolkit.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Louisiana
Level Contributor
48 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge and Bath

Thanks! I looked at London toolkit tours earlier, but we will probably have rail passes for the week we are in UK. Doesn't this mean we would be paying twice for rail travel from London to Salisbury and for the return trip from Bath to London? I am not sure my group members will want to be "stuck" on an all-day bus tour subject to fussy children and a set time schedule for each stop... Example: I don't anticipate my group doing much in-depth study of Stonehenge, so we might not stay at that site very long.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
20 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
6. Re: Stonehenge and Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:18