We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legoland

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
miami
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Legoland

I have a couple of questions about Legoland. I am thinking about bringing my six year old boy to legoland. I took him to the one in San Diego, CA and he loved it and now he would like to go to the one in Windsor. Talking to several people who have gone they say it isn't that great. We live in the Bahamas, so to fly all the way over for a big diappointment would be bad. If we went I was not planning on renting a car, or should I? I was thinking of spending one day at legoland and taking him to London for two day. PLEASE help with suggestions!!!!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legoland

Hi, I live half an hour from Legoland. What were the reasons given for it not being great? My 10 year old daughter still thinks it's one of the best places in the world. Hang on; I'll ask her...

"It's fun. The rides aren't too big, but they're fun for me. I like the Dragon's Lair best." (roller coaster.)

From my perspective: It's bloomin' expensive, but you can get some deals if you look around, or book in advance. And then you have to pay extra for 'panning for gold' and the occasional photograph. Anyway, they try to part you from your money. The internet booking should give some deals. During school holidays it is BUSY - too busy sometimes.

But for a 6 year old, it's perfect; the driving school is always very popular; the boating school gets long queues, and I can't see the attraction in it.

A rainy day can put the dampers on things.

He is one lucky boy if you're bringing him over for Legoland! But combined with a trip to London, you can't go wrong!

When were you thinking of coming? As I say, rainy days are a spoiler, although we can never guarantee sunny days.

miami
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Legoland

I told him if he stopped sucking his thumb I would take him as his best friends in school here are from London, and they talk about it all the time. I NEVER thought he would do it. Several of the people here said that it was small and that there were better theme parks to visit. What about getting around. Is it easy to get around without getting a rental car. I am use to driving on the left after being in the Bahamas for three years, but I would just assune not if the public transportation is easier and safe.

miami
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Legoland

When is the best time to come. I know that schools get out in June/July - but would we be better coming in the fall? I know it would be cold, but if the crowds aren't there then maybe that would be better.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legoland

Hope you dont mind if i jump in with a couple of questions about Legoland...

My children are 2 and 5 and we are thinking of taking them to legoland but have heard it was a bit disappointing. We've been to disney in paris and were very impressed with it but just looking for something similar for them for this trip (obviously without the Disney theme!!)

Can you tell me if its suitable for 2 and five year olds? Are all the rides suitable for this age group?

Any advice or tips appreciated.

Many thanks

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legoland

Hi,

You can choose whether to stay in London or Windsor, but there are trains between London and Windsor (takes about 30 minutes) and in Windsor town there are buses that go to Legoland, so you wouldn't need a car.

Small? I've never thought of it as small, and you would certainly be there all day and not do everything! I don't know when your friends last visited, but Legoland opens new rides every year. (At least it seems so)

If you can come outside of school holidays, you'll find life easier in terms of fewer visitors, and therefore easier to get on the rides. Personally I'd recommend September, and possibly even into early October, as we often seem to have nice weather then, and with the schools only reopening at the beginning of September, they won't be doing school trips to Legoland. If you went in June or July, you'd probably find yourself besieged by school trips as end of term 'jollies', and then end of July/August you have hordes of kids on their summer break.

Yes, I think that sums it up for me: if I go when everyone else is there, I hate it; if I go when it's less busy I love it!

Everything you need to know here:

http://www.legoland.co.uk/

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legoland

Hi Mumof2. I've just seen your message.

I think Legoland comes into its own for 6 to 10 year olds. I realise I'm saying that because the bigger driving school is for 6 and up, and the children love that!

However, there is certainly enough to keep your younger ones entertained, including a mini driving school for them (looks really boring to the adults, but the littl'uns enjoy it).

Oh - just thought of a tip! In a previous post, I mentioned how they like to part you from your money. Well at both driving schools, the children are issued with their 'driver's licence', but if you pay ££, they'll add the child's photo to it. Take along a headshot of your child, et voila! One personalised driving licence 'free'!

Actually, thinking about it - there's plenty for 2yrs up to do.

Oh -another tip. If you go on a fine day, take swimming costumes for the children and a towel. There is a wet play area which is brilliant!

Again, as I was saying before, where I think the disappointment factor comes in is if the park is mega-busy. The queues can be horrendous (especially for the boating school and driving schools), and you don't get to do much. When you've paid all that money, you like to feel you've got your money's worth, and you certainly don't on a busy day.

I know you've got a 5 year old, but if Irish holidays are different to English ones, I'd try and come along then.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legoland

Gilliganuk,

Thanks for that...thats a great help. Our holidays are july and august so i think that puts us in the busy time. Long queues are hard to explain to little ones!!

One more thing...could you recommend a hotel to us?

Thanks again.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Legoland

We break up around the 23rd July over here...

If you have to come during peak times, I'd strongly recommend arriving before opening time (ie before 10am) - (mind you, I've never managed that yet!) and then march your children through Miniland (the buildings made of lego) - "No dawdling children; we'll come back here later" and hit the driving school and boating school as quickly as you can as they have a slow turn-around and get the queues building up quickly.

Loki's labyrinth (the tubs that go around and have some rapids) is new for this season, so expect that to get busy quickly as well.

As I live close by, I have no need to stay at the hotels, so unfortunately I can't tell you what they're like.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legoland

We went last June with our 3 sons, ages 7,10,12. We really liked it and spent the whole day there, opening to close, kept busy and happy the whole day. My 12 year old even liked it, though it was better for the younger ones. Their web-site is pretty good, take a look and see if you think your son would enjoy it. My kids really liked the workshops where they could build with legos, while I would have preferred to be on the "rides."

We stayed at the Heathrow/Windsor Marriott. They had a small, indoor pool that you had to pre-book. It was great fun for the boys after a long day on the plane. They also had a childrens buffet every morning and night that was a good price and the food pleased our boys. There is a bus, public, that runs to LegoLand, but for our family it was cheaper to book a taxi, and much faster. We phoned a taxi ourselves, found in the phone book, which was cheaper than having the hotel book it. We got the phone # of our driver and pre-arranged for him to come back and pick us up at closing time. DO THIS! There were many, many people waiting for the "last" bus. I don't know what happens when it fills up, but we were happy to have the taxi. Many people ran up to him trying to get him to take them. There were no other taxis waiting for hire.

We had never been to another LegoLand and wanted to visit one before our boys were too old. We were pleased with LegoLand Windsor.

Katy

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Legoland

Wow...these are great tips...i hope you dont mind -i've thought of a few more questions..

So fly through the mini land and on to the boat or driving schools...Any other advice on the must dos?

Also is one day enough - alternatively is 2 days too much. What do you think?

And would you reccommend having a car or are taxi's easy enough?

And finally - is there anything else in the area worth a visit?

Many thanks...