We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover from Heathrow trip report

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Layover from Heathrow trip report

Wanted to thank everyone for your help in planning our short layover visit to Heathrow. it was definitely worth our while to visit Windsor and much nicer than staying at the airport (which we ended up doing on our return through Heathrow).

Our flight from DC was scheduled to arrive at Heathrow at 10:25 am and our next flight was scheduled for 5:50 pm--so we had about 7 hours to visit Windsor and get back in time to go through security and board our plane. With your suggestions, we booked Windsor Cars to pick us up at arrivals, and meet us in downtown Windsor at 3 pm to return us to the airport. This was more than enough time to have lunch in Windsor, walk around some, buy some treats, and make our flight.

Turns out that our flight was early and so used our global phone to call Windsor Cars to let them know that we had already arrived. We had checked our bags all the way through to Johannesburg but requested that Windsor Cars hold our carryons (minus the passports and valuables) so we didn't have to lug them around our short visit to Windsor.

The quoted price was 26 pounds cash for a normal car up to 4 people including a meet and great at arrivals, and 16 pounds return. The service overall was very good, but, the first driver did charge us more than what they quoted but, I didn't have my email printout and we were too tired to argue the point (said that the original quoted price did not include meet and greet). They didn't charge after all for holding the carryons. We ended up having a different driver on the way back to Heathrow.

Lunch was at Cornucopia where I discovered a new dessert--Eton Mess. Think strawberries, whipped cream, meringue. Surprisingly good but sweet.

We decided that we wanted a more leisurely lunch so didn't try to see the castle (other than the outside) and instead walked along the river and saw the swans, and visited the grocery store in downtown Windsor where I picked up two gluten-free packaged baked goods to take with us to Botswana. What a treat they were later on our trip! Lemon cake and bar cookies with afternoon tea.

Thanks again.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,043 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover from Heathrow trip report

Thanks so much for posting your report.

I'm glad you had a good afternoon in Windsor.

TBH 26 pounds seems extremely reasonable for meet and greet and a trip into Windsor, not to mention holding your bags. I have paid more for meet & greet and cab fare from Heathrow to my house, which is closer to Heathrow than Windsor Castle.

Glad you enjoyed Eton Mess...you also saw Eton over the river.

Sounds like a very nice layover.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover from Heathrow trip report

I agree, £26 is reasonable especially when it involves holding bags for best part of a day, that would have cost £16 at the airport alone, not to mention the lost time..

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover from Heathrow trip report

Sorry for being unclear. Windsor Cars charged us 35 pounds (about $55) for the ride to Heathrow--significantly more than the 26 pounds (about $41) they originally quoted by email while making reservations (which included Meet and Greet inside arrivals). Since we were only there for a few hours they had previously agreed not to charge us for storing the hand luggage. I didn't have the original emails stating this (had cut and pasted the information into my Tripit itineary) so couldn't debate the increase in fare. Plus we were tired after the overnight flight. All in all, the service was good but the change in fare was a surprise. What was more important is that they picked us up at both ends of our layover and delivered us on time. We would use them again, but, make sure traveled with the original quote emails.

By the way, finally remembered where I bought my gluten-free treats--Mark and Spencer.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,043 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover from Heathrow trip report

lacontessa, you were clear enough--I was trying to express to you that 26 pounds seems...well, very low for ride plus meet and greet.

35 pounds for meet and greet, ride, and holding your bags seems very reasonable to me.

Just so you know, If you had taken a cab from the rank, they could have charged you 55-65 pounds--with no meet and greet, and no holding of your bags.

5. Re: Layover from Heathrow trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Windsor