We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

We are travelling to Legoland hotel for 3 nights in October to celebrate my husbands birthday. We are a party of 7 , 4 adults and 3 children. Could anyone recommend a family friendly restaurant for his birthday celebration? I read the reviews of Pasta Bella and it seems nice, I'm looking for something that is relaxed and semi-informal and welcoming to children but still a restaurant and not pizza hut style! Also I would like to order a birthday cake to be delivered to the restaurant, can anyone recommend a local bakery please ? Is Patisserie Valerie any good ?

All info very much appreciated.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 01:24
Mentioned in this post
Legoland Windsor Resort
Legoland Windsor Resort
15,902 Reviews
Windsor, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

I have not been to Pasta Bella, so I can't answer for it.

Where we have gone for birthdays, as a family, is The Green Olive, which is mezze Greek cuisine. You get lots of little plates and everyone has a little bit of something. Even my picky eater found things to his liking.

Unfortunately, while they do offer desserts, they are not top tier (well, the fountain candle is).

I have a friend with three kids, younger than mine. She enjoys this location...

http://www.runnymedehotel.com/restaurants/

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

Thanks LauraRW for the reply. Runny Mede Hotel looks lovely, defo one to consider. Do you have any advice re bakery in Windsor ? In particular Patisserie Valerie?

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

You may be interested in Foxy Cakes who are based in Eton. They have a really good reputation in the area for producing wonderful celebration cakes.

www.foxycakes.co.uk/about_the_fox.php

Just to add, if you do decide on Bella Pasta for your celebration meal, their location is next to the Theatre Royal, Windsor and they are normally very busy in there covering pre- theatre dinner meals - especially on a Saturday evening. gets a bit crowded etc., You need to make a table reservation. Then it all calms down when the theatre show begins around 7.45 pm - 8.00pm or so.

I have had some meals at Bella Pasta , sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Last meal was awful, not been back since.

Like Laura, I am a big fan of The Green Olive for a celebration meal.

Mentioned in this post
Eton
Eton
Windsor, UK
Theatre Royal Windsor
Theatre Royal Windsor
1,224 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

Hi there,a nice restaurant we visit often in Windsor as a family is La Tasca located on the concourse of Windsor Train station.It's obvs Spainish and serves little bowls of tapas (choice of around 34 dishes to pick from) so you can have as much or as little as you want.They also do a good childrens menu and both my boys (6 n 17 yrs old) luv it there.It's very family friendly n the smaller kids are given pencils so they can draw on the bac of their menu.It really is a g8t place for a celebration and is very reasonbly priced we think.It has a nice chilled out vibe to it and the music is good to listen to aswell.The other good thing (like lots of restaurants these days) is that u can now book up a table on-line to ensure you get a table.Sumtimes we hav done this n sumtimes we've just turned up and hav always got seated,but if it's an important event n there is a few of u,it mite be better to book wherever u end up going to.

Patisserie Valeries is literally a mins walk away from La Tasca and I hav had cake n coffee there and found it very nicel.Beautiful cakes n pastries.I've just looked on their website and they don't seem to deliver cakes,but you can order a celebration cake up to 24 hrs b4 u need 2 pick it up.Perhaps if u did visit La Tasca or any other restaurant on the concourse (loads to pick from,Carlucio's is another fav n family friendly),PV mite bend the rules n take cake to said restaurant 4 u.U can only ask can't u.If not,u'll hav to pick the cake up urself n try n summgle it in2 the place u r eating so waiting staff can present it 2 ur hubby.

Other places we like to go with our kids in Windsor are Bella Italia,Pizza Express,Zizzi and our absolute fav Cornucopia.This doesn't hav a kids menu,but they will serve small portions if so wanted and again they are quite happy to hav kids there.It's a luvly little french type bistro located opp the Guildhall in Windsor.If u dine there between 6 - 7pm,u can order the set menu (2 courses around £12 n 3 courses around £14).Good value for Windsor and food is superb.

Browns Bar and restaurant is another place good for a celebration.It's located opp to the river thames so is quite scenic and they also hav a good kid's menu (they do fav cocktails in there also!!!)There's also a large Waitrose in Windsor that sells b.day cakes n the like,so that maybe worth thinking about if u can't get anything delivered or find PV cakes expensive.

Hope u hav a g8t break at Legoland and that ur hubby has a wonderful birthday.......

Edited: 14 September 2012, 11:43
Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
Guildhall
Guildhall
110 Reviews
London, UK
Brown's Hotel
Brown's Hotel
1,503 Reviews
London, UK
Legoland Windsor Resort
Legoland Windsor Resort
15,902 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

Sorry for some of the spellings mistakes.....havn't got my head turned on 2day and 2 late to edit !!!Smuggle (what was I thinking with summgle) n fab cocktails not fav doh!!!!.....

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

Thanks so much for the replies. The info is fantastic. Pam 9566 I would have never thought of the pre theatre rush so thanks so much for letting me know, it kinda rules Pasta Bella out for us as we'll probably be eating early eve- 6pm ish & don't want to be stuck in the rush.

Jesseche thanks for all of the recommendations and the kind wishes, i'll be busy for some time googling all your suggestions :-)

Thanks again, I really appreciate the info.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

Patisserie Valerie has amazing cakes - stunning in fact . They aren't cheap so we only do coffee/cake there on birthday mornings but def worth it .

8. Re: Restaurant and Bakery in Windsor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:15