We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

Haven't been to England since 1977 so I am sure things are different, especially prices! ;) How much is a cab to Windsor, in particular we are going to Oakley Court Hotel? Is it about 20 mins from LHR?

Once at the hotel, if we want to go to the Railway shops or Windsor Castle, about how long would it take and how much would it cost?

Does one tip the cabbie in England? Thanks for any assistance!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

I found this on the Windsor visitor information page (windsor.gov.uk/visitor-info/…taxis):

"For visitors arriving at Heathrow, it may be expensive to pick up a taxi outside the airport so pre-book a taxi for a cheaper price. Approximate price for a taxi from Heathrow to Windsor is £45.00, a pre-booked taxi will cost approximately £20.00, depending on the time of day."

Hopefully someone can help out with a suggestion as to which taxi service to pre-book...

Edit: I found this post which is recent so should still be current tripadvisor.com.au/…41850930 refer response #1 from Amama re: LauraW's suggestion to use "Windsor Car Service". There is also additional discussion further down.

Edited: 31 October 2012, 01:36
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,393 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

I can recommend Windsor Cars, 5Star, and Gemini.

However, the Oakley Court, where I have stayed myself, is not in Windsor, but about 5 miles outside of it. And there is really not a lot around the Oakley Court except beautiful scenery and the Thames running by.

What I am getting at is that if you plan on visiting Windsor, or dining in Windsor, you will need to take a cab in and out of Windsor.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

"Does one tip the cabbie in England? Thanks for any assistance!"

Personally I round it up to the nearest pound or give an extra pound if the first option is only a few pence but that's only if the driver is pleasant and not a grumpy old git. I know people who never tip and also some that tip more than I would, so really it's up to you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

Thanks for the helpful replies - I shall use your advice!

We will only be at the Oakley for four days maximum - are shops open on Sunday in Windsor or are they sort of noon to five pm? Of course I am hoping to visit the Castle, but are there any other must do's while in town? Friend wants to do some shopping - either in Windsor or Oxford Street so how long would it take to get to Oxford street from London?

Last time I was in England was in 1977 so I am so grateful there is this little thing called the internet to help out with all these details! Thanks!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,393 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

We will only be at the Oakley for four days maximum - are shops open on Sunday in Windsor or are they sort of noon to five pm?

11:00 to five for most of them.

Of course I am hoping to visit the Castle, but are there any other must do's while in town?

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

What else to do in Windsor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c167859/Winds…

Events in Windsor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c167220/Winds…

Friend wants to do some shopping - either in Windsor or Oxford Street so how long would it take to get to Oxford street from London?

I think you must mean Oxford Street *in* London. You would need to take a cab from the Oakley Court to Windsor or Slough. Take the fast train to Paddington, and then take the underground (Paddington to Oxford Circus, although if it were me, I would get out at Bond Street and walk towards Oxford Street from there.)

I always find that from door to door, it takes roughly 1 1/2 hours each way to reach you destination in London from Windsor.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

We used WIndsor Cars and they were fantastic. We tipped five pounds when luggage was involved, but took your tip of rounding up to nearest pound for just regular in town visits.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

Thanks for coming back and updating with your experience! This is a topic that comes up quite frequently, so nice to have current info and recommendations.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,393 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

Yes, thanks for the feedback--glad it worked out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

I was not able to visualize Windsor from the maps but I found that the Castle itself was a great fixed point with which to orient myself. Our first day there, we asked the cabbie to drop us off "for shopping in Windsor", and he dropped us off one block from Peascod Street, which is the main street that leads directly to the Castle, since Peascod is foot traffic only. We were at the foot of the street which gently increases upward toward the Castle and the statue of Queen Victoria.

We enjoyed the thrift shops by Oxfam, the Cancer Centre (Helen and Doug... somebody Cancer Centre), and we found the British Heart and Stroke one as well. Great deal on Jubilee keychains for .49p (about .80 Cdn) so we bought loads for gifts. Very clean and tidy thrift shops! We enjoyed Dorothy Perkins and of course Marks and Spencer for women's clothes. M & S had fantastic Christmas treats and I brought back mince tarts ("with lashings of brandy and sherry" - as written on the box) and mini Christmas puddings - two for four pounds. I could have gone insane with all the Christmas treats - we used to have M & S in Canada and I miss those goodies!

One other highlight for us was visiting Waitrose grocers. What a civilized grocery store! The cashiers get to sit instead of stand, and they also sell alcohol. I purchased some vodka and gin by Sipsmith, an artesanal small batch distillery in London. Nice selection of alcohols and I took several photos of the walls of beer. Took pics of the Jubilee packaging for M & M's, Pringles, so many things with Union Jacks!

I did visit the Royal Windsor Shopping which is sort of behind and to the left of the main street, and bought a Pandora crown charm, while my friend bought a Links of London bag. But for anyone reading from Canada, it is cheaper here! Still, you want the thrill of saying you bought it in England.

We had coffee at Cafe Pret and there is a Costa beside it - while both are nice, we found the Costa coffee to be really delicious.

Once you reach Queen Victoria's statue, to the left is a McDonald's, a Pizza Express and further down, a Zizzi's. Zizzi's is a chain and they serve a flatbread type of pizza. It was delicious and there is a "skinny" rustica version which is smaller pizza, with a side salad, served on wooden platters. Very nice service and an interesting hole in the wall which shows the ancient lath & plaster & horsehair insulation of the 18th century wall.

Beside that is a fudge store which I did not visit as it was closed but it would be most interesting to bring home their fudge sauces or a slice of decadent fudge.

To the right of Queen Victoria are some shops, including Glorious Britain, a nice souvenir shop where I bought a London teatowel for 2.99 down from 8.95 (available in turquoise, pink and green). There is a t.k.maxx which must be the UK version of TJ Maxx/Winners/Marshalls. Across the street is a museum which I did not get to see, admission three pounds.

Woods of Windsor is across from t.k.maxx and they had a sale on their products so for 4.50 I bought a bottle of Lily of the Valley Lotion. They also have Jasmine, Rose and other fragrances, as well as Yardley products.

The best shopping, although not the cheapest, was at the four different gift shops at Windsor Castle. I bought Jubilee and Buckingham Palace teatowels, and a selection of beautiful tin plates for 4.99 each, which were copies of Georgian and Victorian fine china. A great gift to give with a platter of home made cookies! Windsor Castle pens were very high quality for 8.95, and I could have gone crazy on their jewelry selection which are lovely copies of Her Majesty's jewelry.

In short, loved Windsor and the shopping - a very pretty and friendly place.

Thanks everyone for all the tips! I hope this helps others as well.

Edited: 18 December 2012, 23:11
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,393 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much to take a cab from Heathrow to Windsor?

However did you manage to carry it all?

Glad you enjoyed your visit.