We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Windsor

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Windsor

Hello,

I have recently went to Windsor for the day with my husband. It was very easy to get there from London. We took the hour long train from Waterloo to Windsor, and found the castle easily. If you'd like to read more about our trip, here is a link to my blog.

…blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/day-trip-to-windsor.…

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Windsor

Yes, it's really easy to find the castle when you get off the train at Windsor......: )

Just to add a couple of points to your blog. Those narrow windows are called arrow loops or loopholes. You could defend a fortress by shooting arrows towards your attackers without being injured yourself. In someways how a "loophole" in the law can work. Getting away with something by using a loophole without repercussion.

And when you mentioned Windsor's shops were a bit "lame" I'm afraid Britain's High Streets are full of identikit stores, seen one seen them all. Peascod Street in Windsor is a good example but the restored railway station (not the one you used but Central station) is quite pleasant, even though the restaurants there are also chains.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Windsor

Hope you will also write a review of both the Castle and the "cute pub," in the reviews section.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in Windsor

Hi, Christina

We are looking into doing the same trip from Waterloo station in 2 weeks. I have heard that the road to the castle entrance involves a steep hill. How hard is the hike from Eton Riverside Station to the castle entrance?

Thank you,

Monica

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in Windsor

It's a 10 minute walk. The route is quite short but at one point as you walk past the Curfew Tower and turn left to make for the entrance the road (Thames Street) gets steep for a very short section. Anybody remotely healthy can manage it though. It isn't a "hike" in any sense of the verb.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in Windsor

Awesome! Thank you. I read some reviews that warned about a very steep hill and very challenging to get there from the Eton Riverside Station. I am glad this is not the case :)

6. Re: A Day in Windsor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Windsor