We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

We'll be based in a self-catering cottage near Cardigan the first week of June and thought that we might take in a boat tour to view marine life (including the dolphin pod).

Found info on some websites and I have the basic facts (price, schedule, etc.), but was looking for some impressions from those who have had direct experience with any of the boat companies out of New Quay or Cardigan.

Good ride? Rushed? Morning vs. Afternoon? Any big differences in starting from Cardigan or New Quay?, etc.

Thanks.

A Bay To Remember Wildlife Boat Trips
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Seacoast Safaris
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Voyages of Discovery (Ramsey Island)
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
661 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

There are boat trips out of New Quay, 1 & 2 hour trips, last years prices adult £6 & £12, children £3 & £6 ( these are 2007 prices )I have been out on these boats 3 times & have only seen the dolphins once when they came close to the boat. You are not guaranteed seeing them, they are wild animals & can be anywhere in the bay. They are often seen in the harbour at New Quay, again it's just luck as to whether you will see them, but you will know if they are about as a small crowd gathers on the harbour wall! Times of sailings vary depending on the tides, & don't sail in rough weather.For enquiries re these boats call 01545 560 800 daytime or 01545 560 375 in the evening.

Also in New Quay is the Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, they have a photo identification catalogue of the dolphins, see website www.cbmwc.org

I live just outside Aberystwyth & sometimes see dolphins & porposes swimming by again it's just luck.

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

Edina:

Thanks for your thoughts. Understand completely about the chances of seeing marine life - no different than anywhere else we've had the opportunity to attempt to get closer to wildlife.

And I especially appreciate the reference of the Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, I completely overlooked them in my trip planning. I'm thinking we'll give one of their survey trips a try.

Diolch yn fawr.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
661 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

Hello again, if you are interested in wildlife you may like to visit Bwlch Nant yr Aran visitor centre 10 miles east of Aberystwyth on the A44 road. Here they feed red kites daily at 3pm, these birds were once a very rare sight,but numbers have increased, the last time we went there we saw at least 100 birds, they are only given a little food so are not reliant on this totally. See www.forestry.gov.uk/wales for more info.

If you want anymore info about the area I will do what I can to help

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

Sorry, missed this earlier on. Hope it's not too late.

We've been to New Quay several times in the last couple of years and have never failed to see Bottle-nosed Dolphins. That said, we're experienced birdwatchers, so used to spending time looking through binoculars and are quite patient.

We've taken one boat trip and were unlucky, thoiugh ironically we were seeing dolphins within 30 seconds of getting off the boat. In june there will be lots to see, with breeding birds like puffins and shearwaters about and of course seals, so it should be worth the effort.

I'd try for a morning trip if possible, because it should be calmer and dolphins and porpoises are usually much easier to spot in calm conditions, but best to check the forecast beforehand. If you're around on June 5th then consider putting that in your calendar as a boat trip day because historically it's the best date for UK weather, believe it or not - i.e. warm, sunny, low precipitation, low winds.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

agree with edinacloud re the visitor centre, I was there last friday,and it is a great setting, you can sit in the cafe and look out over a lake ,wonderful views

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
661 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

Dolphins have been active around Aberystwyth harbour this week, I know of 3 separate sightings. During first week of June high tide at New Quay will be from 6.29am on Sun 1st then approx one hour on each day up to 11.23 on Sat 7th, so you should be able to get out on a morning trip

7. Re: Dolphins - Cardigan Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 12:21