We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend in Wales from London

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Long weekend in Wales from London

My husband and I are taking our son (Rhys) to Wales for his first bday from London. We will be heading along the south through Cardiff, Swansea, etc. and up the coast, ending in the Wirral visiting family. I was hoping that on our second night (first night in Cardiff) we would stay somewhere along the coast (Cardigan Bay or somewhere) - any suggestions? Looking for something quaint, with a view - hotel, b&b or even self catering.

Second question, we did go to the visitwales.co.uk site (one of the best sites I have been to in a long time)and we were considering doing one of the steam trains in Snowdonia (Llanberis Lake) - interested to know if anyone has done this and whether it would be fun with a little one or not.

Any suggestions regarding the trip would be helpful. We will be going in a couple of weeks.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
670 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long weekend in Wales from London

At Aberaeron, which I would guess would be halfway on your journey if you were coming up the coast, there is the Harbourmaster hotel, it has good reviews but I think is very popular so don't know how easy it would be to get a room. They also have selfcatering accomodation. I've not stayed there myself but have eaten at the restaurant, which is very good.The hotel is right on the harbour, which is very picturesque.

Regarding trains, the weekend of 11th to 13th Aug, at Fairbourne railway, which is on the coast between Tywyn & Dolgellau there is the Fairbourne friendly engines event, with kiddies entertainment, & faces on the trains (similar to Thomas the tank engine ), it might be a bit more fun for your little one, as you could get off the train at estuary halt & go on the beach. web site for railway is www.fairbournerailway.com

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long weekend in Wales from London

Hi there

I also immediately thought also of the Harbourmaster at Aberaeron. The only thing I wondered though is that I can't remember what the beach is like at Aberaeron. I don't think it is a sandy beach, and you might want somewhere where you could have a nice easy explore on the beach.

An alternative just down the road could be New Quay

http://www.newquay-westwales.co.uk/

I'm afraid I don't have any advice on where to stay but the link above gives some good suggestions.

Another railway alternative is the Vale of Rheidol railway

http://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/

We took the Llanberis railway with our (then) 4 year old in summer 2007. It was very scenic, but there was nothing to do at the end of the line, and at that time the country walk stop was cordoned off.

I posted a trip report here which included the Llanberis lake railway (it's the second installment if you scroll down the thread):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186425-i307-k1244…

Hopefully there is some other info on that thread which can be of help to you as well.

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Long weekend in Wales from London

Thank you both so much - very helpful! Will let you know how it goes.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
670 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long weekend in Wales from London

Beach at Aberaeron is pebble, but there is a nice walk along the riverside. New Quay is sandy.

5. Re: Long weekend in Wales from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 13:19