We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebration of Wales in Washington DC

Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Celebration of Wales in Washington DC

Hello everyone,

There is a big party being organized by the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC, and the main theme is Wales. What a nice surprise! The festivities begin tomorrow, June 24. More info here...

www.festival.si.edu/2009/wales/index.aspx

I just happened to be in Washington last week and saw the huge area of tents being set up. When I got closer I saw the banners everywhere proclaiming "WALES". I was astonished. There are actually three themes to the festival, but "Wales" has the largest area devoted to it, by far. Sadly, I'm back at home in Ohio and won't be able to attend any of it. I did spend 18 days in Wales recently so I'm not feeling too bad about missing this event ... nothing like the real thing!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebration of Wales in Washington DC

Thanks for posting that link. Some very good videos on that web page.

I certainly hope it will help raise awareness in the States that Britain is more than just England and Scotland!!!

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebration of Wales in Washington DC

Agreed, some don't even know Wales at all.

Where's Wales they say.

Thanks for the post, very interesting.

joana

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebration of Wales in Washington DC

Skipped out of work early yesterday to attend festival. Hot as hades but there was a fair amount going on. My favorites were the cooking demos-rabbit and duck, the textile demonstrations(spinners and potters). They even had tents displaying "green" alternatives to housing, such as wool insulation instead of man-made.

Of course they had a pub with Tomos Watkins on tap and tried the veggie Glamorgan sausages-delic.

A very nice exhibit which displayed the country Wales and the modern.

Lots of musicians as well such as the Welsh choir that won the BBC choir show-"All Men Aloud".

Below are some pics I took of the festival.

http://web.me.com/hlisy/Site/wales.html#grid

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebration of Wales in Washington DC

Many thanks Audiohio, not sure why the choice of rabbit and duck, I would have expected lamb, lamb and lamb.

joana

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebration of Wales in Washington DC

I have to say that I've just come back from two weeks driving through California and was very impressed that nearly everyone we spoke to not only knew where Wales was but many had anecdotes and stories about family and friends who had visited Wales or general infomation they knew about our country. Very unlike the east coast which was a surprise.

6. Re: Celebration of Wales in Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:17