We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally got Black Lion in Derwenlas on the TA Map

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Finally got Black Lion in Derwenlas on the TA Map

...been to this great little pub/restaurant just outside Machynlleth on the Aber road several times on recent visits and finally got it on the TA map - one of my local favourites and encourage everyone to check it out and write some more reviews in the area generally (just one mediocre review of other places in Mach and the area besides this as far as I can see).

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally got Black Lion in Derwenlas on the TA Map

Agree , the Black Lion is a nice place to stop,

It is a shame that there are not more reviews/info on Mach, as loads of people go there and it would be nice for tourists to read about it,or are they trying to keep it a secret from the hordes of holiday makers lol

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
657 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally got Black Lion in Derwenlas on the TA Map

Yes, Mach is a nice little town, lots of interesting independent shops, & a nice market on Wednesday. Would recommend Hennigans fish & chip shop on the A489 going out of town. If going there from Aberystwyth or Borth take the train, much quicker than driving & you can admire the scenery along the Dovey estuary.

east sussex
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally got Black Lion in Derwenlas on the TA Map

Visted the Black Lion on 17 September having been to it years ago following recommendation that I would find good food there. Now, several years on, the food is as good as I remembered and it's reputation for dining is well deserved.

There are just two negative issues with the Black Lion - (1) the parking; I found it easier to park in a lay-by along the road than dangerously outside the pub, and (2) the menu is just so darned good that opting for one item over another is bound to lead to disappointment that you can't try the whole menu!

You do need to make an advance reservation at the Black Lion to be sure of a table. Skipped the mouth watering Starters and dived into a large lamb shank on a jus of blackcurrent and rosemary served with mash. My companion needed meat and the four generous minted lamb chops plus vegetables ably met his needs. We did succumbe to desserts - a baked cheesecake with toffee and pecan nut sauce for me and treacle tart with custard for my nephew.

We ate well and I am told the local beer was well presented. My next trip to the Black Lion maybe in 2010 but I will be sure to revisit this delightful dining pub.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally got Black Lion in Derwenlas on the TA Map

That would make a nice little review!

5. Re: Finally got Black Lion in Derwenlas on the TA Map

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 06:32