We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heart of Wales Railway

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
514 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Heart of Wales Railway

Can I just make a plea for the Heart of Wales Railway. I've lived in various parts of Wales for a lot of my life and last week for the first time I travelled from south Wales to the north via the Heart of Wales line.

The countryside was absolutely stunning, helped a bit by the autumn colours. I went through places whose names are familiar but I've never visited and places I've never heard of. I didn't look at my book once. From isolated rural station buildings with a couple of houses and men planting spring bulbs in the rain to the spa town of Llandrindod Wells, it was all terrific.

Yes it took ages, but everywhere is a long journey from Pembrokeshire. The Arriva train was old and tatty but the guard was cheerful and the passengers friendly.

Give it a try before someone in an office decides it's not economic and closes it down.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

sorry, not sure why that went on twice.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
403 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

sounds great lego, I've always fancied the trip myself. Would you please post a little more info,

how much is a return journey ?

how long does it take ?

can you complete the return journey in one day ?

and, was it crowded ?

Thanks very much. I'll look into it for next spring.

Alf

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

The train starts at Swansea although we got on at Llanelli. From there it's about three and a half hours to Shrewsbury, there are four trains a day each way.

The cost, well that's variable. Best to look at the Arriva trains Wales website. If you have a bus pass from a few neighbouring areas it's free through the winter and there are deals for the over 55s. There is also a Heart of Wales line website if you google.

When we went it was one single tacky little Arriva carriage, the type we are accustomed to in Pembrokeshire and this was about a quarter full. It was busier at either end of the journey, people visiting Shrewsbury and Llanelli.

Hope this helps.

L the cat

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

Did it two years ago during the winter. Went from Cardiff to Shrewsbury. Great fun. Bring your own food and drink as none are available on board.

Wales
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

Sorry dodger70, the Central Wales Line (Heart of Wales Line) goes Swansea - Llanelli - Llandeilo - Craven Arms - Shrewsbury and the Cardiff Shrewsbury might not be the same line if it goes Cardiff - Newport - Hereford - Craven Arms - Shrewsbury until the lines meet at Craven Arms.A drinks trolley was available on the HoW train I went on in October.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

Yes, that's the one I took. Perhaps it has changed, but I did do the trip through the middle (heart) of Wales. If you look at your own rail site I think you will find that it starts in Cardiff. However, it makes no difference as I did the trip and enjoyed it.

Washington State
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

I took this line a couple weeks ago. It starts in Swansea. We transfered there from our train out of Cardiff. It is a single coach Arriva with a food/drink trolley. It is a beautiful run, through pastures, rolling hills and quaint towns. We got off in Shrewsbury, spent a couple of hours, and took the more express route back to Cardiff. We recommended the run to our Cardiff relatives, who have lived there for 20+ years and had never heard of it!

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

Don't rely on there being a food and drink trolley.

There definitely wasn't one when we travelled on the train on a Saturday afternoon.

9. Re: Heart of Wales Railway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2010, 05:17