We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time to Pembrokeshire

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time to Pembrokeshire

Hi all, My husband and I are planning a trip to Great Britain in May 2010. We will have about 10 days to visit and plan to spend a few days in Dartmoor, a few days in the Cotswolds, a few days in Wales, then back to London for a day or two before leaving (likely from Heathrow).

My question is two parts: About how long will the drive from the Cotswolds (probably Chipping Campden) to St. David's, Pembrokeshire take? I'm also looking for opinions about whether two nights in Wales will allow enough time for walking on the coast, sightseeing, etc.

We want to include Wales in this trip and had been looking at Snowdonia, but thought Pembrokeshire might be somewhat faster to get to. The coastal walks look beautiful.

Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time to Pembrokeshire

Hi. My first thoughts are you zipping back and forth quite a bit with those plans. Presumably arriving at Heathrow ? All are very nice locations but driving beteen them will mean a lot of time on the road, and I doubt you will have time to spend 'a few days in each' , especially if you want to throw Snowdonia into the mix.

The Pembrokeshire coast in West Wales is beautiful, but you may also want to consider the Gower Pewninsula in South Wales instead. You can see it across the Bristol Channel from North Devon ( Exmoor ) but its still a long drive by road. Dartmoor is even further away, and a longer drive still.

If it were me I would concentrate on just two of the areas you suggest for a 10 day trip, and spend a less hectic few days in each.

BB

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time to Pembrokeshire

chipping camden to st davids 200miles about 4 hours drive non stop.

agree with other poster, whilst you want to see as much as poss, suggest you narrow your trip down a bit and you can relax more and see much more at leisure.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time to Pembrokeshire

Thank you both for your input. That will help with planning.

-patraveler

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time to Pembrokeshire

If I can take a contrary view, I don't see anything wrong with the general plan provided that you tweak it a bit and treat it as a touring holiday (ie don't always try to get from A to B as quickly as possible but sometimes choose a scenic route and make the trip part of the holiday).

After landing at Heathrow i would drive to the Cotswolds - Woodstock and Burford are a bit closer than Chipping Camden and are v.beautiful (+ Woodstock has Blenheim Palace); the drive from Heathrow to Woodstock will take just over an hour assuming the traffic is ok. You can then explore the Cotswolds from one base or pick a different one each night (the Cotswolds is not that big an area).

I would substitute Exmoor for Dartmoor (it's prettier IMHO, with some interesting coastline nearby) which would give you an approximately 3 hours drive from Woodstock.

From Exmoor I would drive to Pembrokeshire but taking the scenic route (A40) via Raglan, Abergavenny and Brecon, skirting the Brecon Beacons. You could also add Tintern and the Wye Valley to the beginning of this route and I thoroughly recommend the Bear at Crickhowell as a lunch or overnight stop (it's been voted Inn of the Year for 2010). Towards the end of this route you will pass nearby the beautiful Carreg Cennen castle, one of the most dramatic and beautiful in Wales, which you could visit either on the way to St.David's or the way back.

St.David's to Heathrow airport is only a 4 hour drive (not counting stops) so you could leave St.David's at 3pm, be in Heathrow for 8pm, drop the car off and take the train into central London, and be at your hotel by 10pm.

All sounds fine to me, provided you rationalise how much time to allocate to each area.

This site has a good routeplanner and maps section so you can check driving times and where everything is in relation to everything else:

www.viamichelin.co.uk

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time to Pembrokeshire

p.s. If you do get to St.Davids and have the time, think about visiting Melin Tregwynt, St.Non's chapel and Ramsey island. There is a very good restaurant in St David's called Cwtch

http://cwtchrestaurant.co.uk/index.html

and they also have a useful list of places nearby to visit on their website.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time to Pembrokeshire

Thanks for your help PoolLounger. I am definitely going to look at the idea of swapping Exmoor Park for Dartmoor. The scenic driving suggestions are great too.

-patraveler

7. Re: Driving time to Pembrokeshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 04:17