We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wales -Builth Wells Powys

Franschhoek, South...
11 posts
Save Topic
Wales -Builth Wells Powys

Hi, I am going to BUILTH WELLS POWYS in Wales - provisionally booked 1 week accommodation - maybe March or May - have never been to Wales, very excited.

But need to know some stuff....whats the best way to get to this place/town from London?

And second question....what and how much time do i need to see and do all things around this town. can i rent a car and what would be the cheapest.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wales -Builth Wells Powys

Hi,

Franschhoek to Builth Wells - now that's intriguing !

A few observations from me

- I think you definitely need a car if you're basing yourself in Builth Wells for a week. There is public transport, but you are at the heart of a very rural area so relying purely on it could be very limiting. For example there is a train station just outside the town but the service is infrequent and very slow (although beautiful).

- If you're hiring then I think your best bet would be to hire in/around London (assuming you're returning to London at the end of your trip) and then drive to Builth Wells - it's around a 4 hour drive, the first 3/4 or so on motorway, then the final stretch on local roads. If you don't fancy driving that far then you could maybe look at taking the train or coach to somewhere like Gloucester, Hereford or even Cardiff (there are direct trains from London and coaches from Heathrow) and picking up a car there.

- there isn't a huge amount to see in the town itself, it's a small market town, but some wonderful countryside close to hand (although you're in a pretty spectacular spot in Franschhoek). I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for The Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains and Elan Valley are all close by with some great scenery and walks. Further afield - but within easy reach you've got the historic border towns of Hereford and Ludlow (both with some fine old buildings, castles and cathedrals). Also within easy reach if you have a car is the 'book town' of Hay-on-Wye and the beautiful Wye Valley. You're also within day trip distance of Cardiff - about a 90 minute drive from Builth Wells - with plenty to see and do.

- If you have the choice of March or May - choose May. The weather will be that much better (there's a reason for the Elan valley reservoirs and the lovely green countryside !! - and you've got more chance of seeing it in March) and some seasonal attractions will tend to open after the Easter holiday in mid April, or at least have more extensive hours.

Hope this has given you a few brief ideas.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wales -Builth Wells Powys

Definitely hire a car as you will be able to see so much more of the countryside.

I would also choose May rather than March. It will be warmer, the flowers will be starting to bloom and you will have much longer day length. Aim for the middle two weeks of May as this avoids May Day, late May Bank holiday 30th May) and school half term holidays.

Also buy a copy of the Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 map for the area (and also possibly neighbouring maps) as this will help you plan where to go.

…ordnancesurvey.co.uk/products/paper-maps/pa…

A couple of web sites about Builth Wells:

http://www.builth.com/

www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/builth_wells/

The Victorian Spa town of Llandrindod Wells is within easy distance and is well worth visiting:

http://www.llandrindod-wells.com/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandrindod_Wells

Plan on spending some time exploring the Elan Valley:

http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/

and Rhyader:

www.rhayader.co.uk/index.php/rhayader/about/

A bit further away is the superb Devil's Bridge Falls.

http://www.devilsbridgefalls.co.uk/

and the Vale of Rheidol steam railway:

http://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/

Franschhoek, South...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wales -Builth Wells Powys

Thanks, sound advice...yes Franschhoek beautiful but want to explore the UK a bit....been to London before....2 days only so looking forward to Wales and a bit more of the UK....

How much is car hire about per day? And I heard something about paying to drive on the road...?? thanks

Yes have booked now for the middle of May...thanks both ....

Edited: 05 December 2010, 11:30
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wales -Builth Wells Powys

Apart from one toll motorway in England and some road bridges where you have to pay a toll to cross (eg Severn Bridge), there is no charge to drive on the road. Petrol is expensive though.

Check car hire companies on the web for charges.

Enjoy your holiday. Wales in May will be beautiful.

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wales -Builth Wells Powys

Builth Wells is a central town to visit many parts of Wales. There is a beautifull house to visit in Abbetcwm Hir, Take the train at Builth on the heart of Wales line either to Shrewsbury or Llandeilo. For beautyfull and breathtaking scenery travel to Llanwrtyd Wells and take the Abergwesyn road to Tregaron. The options for you is endless.

see www.visitmidwales.co.uk

Franschhoek, South...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wales -Builth Wells Powys

Thanks that makes me feel better, that I will have lots of interesting things to do nearby...have heard lots of bad reports on car hire in the UK....don't know about Wales....can you recommend a car hire company and would you know the costs/day charge? Many thanks everyone for all your help....

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wales -Builth Wells Powys

It might make sense to start a new thread with this specific question. Obviously AVOID Decode car hire - I assume you have seen the thread on this forum? If a company is quoting a lot cheaper than others warning signs should flash.

Most of the big national companies like Hertz, Budget, Avis, Enterprise etc should be OK.

8. Re: Wales -Builth Wells Powys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2011, 06:25