We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help us fine tune our Wales driving trip!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Please help us fine tune our Wales driving trip!

My partner and I (40ish teachers from Florida & well travelled) are taking advantage of a very inexpensive fly & drive package to Wales in July that includes vouchers for B&Bs. We usually don't do the voucher thing since we know all the disadvantages, but this trip is SO inexpensive that we are just going to make the best of it.

We are basing our driving route on one we found in a forum from 2007 that involved many folks making helpful suggestions. But we've made a few revisions, and we need help with the end. Here's what we have so far:

Day 1: Arrive Gatwick, drive to Stonehenge, Chepstow, Tintern Abbey, & finally Cardiff. (BUSY day, we know, but the guy did it in 2007 and we are up to the challenge.)

Day 2: Caperhilly, St. Fagan's, back to Cardiff.

Day 3: Drive to Laugharne, then Tenby.

Day 4: Drive to St. David's, then Aberyswyth.

Day 5: Drive to Machynlleth, Harlech, then .???

Here's the part where we need help. For the remainder of the trip we want to:

-spend a day on the Isle of Anglesy

-go to Pen y Pass & walk Miner's Path

-maybe another stop or two??

-get back to Gatwick

We would like to keep this to 8 days total, so if you have suggestions on Days 6-8, we would appreciate it very much. Any comments on the other parts of the trip are welcomed as well!

Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
42 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help us fine tune our Wales driving trip!

After Harlech follow coast road to Porthmadog and Criccieth. Stay in Criccieth. Spend day 1 am in Caernarfon, and pm Aberdaron on Lleyn Peninsular. Day 2 in Snowdonia, lovely walks in Beddgelert and on Snowdon itself. D3 Portmeirion and Llechwedd slate mine at Blaeunau Ffestiniog

D4 leave Criccieth, drive to Llangollen with stops at Conwy, Llanwrst. In Llangollen go to the 'ladies house' walk up Dins Bran castle, walk over the aquaduct.

D5 drive along the border to Hay on Wye, with stops in Oswestry.

D6 Drive along Wye Valley and return to Gatwick on M4 and M25.

Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
42 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help us fine tune our Wales driving trip!

Oh and yes have a day on Anglesey, go to South Stack a great circular walk from Holyhead to the south stack lighthouse and bird reserve. Also visit Beaumaris, Red Wharf Bay.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help us fine tune our Wales driving trip!

After Anglesey stop off at Conwy on your way to the east. It is a lovely village built inside castle walls. Lots of nice little shops, Britain's smallest house and you can walk around the top of the castle walls that surround the village.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help us fine tune our Wales driving trip!

I would strongly advise against Stonehenge. On your first day, what with jet lag etc it seems too much of a detour for what you may well conclude is an anti-climax. It would be easier for you to just stick to the motorway all the way to Wales once you leave Gatwick, which in itself will be about 3 hours non-stop.

After Harlech I would recommend stopping at Beddgelert. That drive up the coast is really enjoyable, you see the mountains approaching. I also agree with the suggestions of Conwy and Llangollen.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
522 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help us fine tune our Wales driving trip!

I agree with Jim. Stonehenge has hordes of tourists and is now so roped off and controlled the mystery has gone.

Pentre Ifan in North Pembrokeshire( which you will pass near Newport Pembs) is mystical and free.

6. Re: Please help us fine tune our Wales driving trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 05:17