We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Itinerary in Wales

ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Itinerary in Wales

Hi,

Getting the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead 2 adults and a 17 month old the end of October. We will have one week and hoping somebody will give a suggestion on best places to go haven't a clue even where to start. Looking for suggestions on where to go, where to stay nice hotels , b&bs with parking. what to see etc. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Itinerary in Wales

Depends what you are looking for; castles, beaches, walks etc.

In the meantime here is a recent thread about a similar question:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186445-i2065-k4…

ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Itinerary in Wales

Thanks for the thread Biarritz taxis. I am looking for a guide as to where to go. Starting in Holyhead where would be the 1st stop we should take, looking for a nice seaside town/village some shops to browse, nice restaurants to eat. It will be my Mother , my 17 month old son and myself so it will be nice and relaxed, short strolls not looking for big walks. Would like to see castles, scenery on route. Would like to move on to the next town maybe stay a couple nights. Don't want to be driving for hours on end but at the same time would like to see a bit of Wales.

Thanks

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Itinerary in Wales

For the first stop I would suggest Conwy. Don't know any particular hotels or B&Bs but I would recommend Watson's Bistro for an evening meal. Conwy has a really nice little harbour. I used to spend hours (as a child) catching crabs in the rockpools. The town is built within castle walls and you can walk on the tops of the walls around most of the town.

From here you can easily explore several castles. Have a look at this thread about a similar trip (but not using a car). Post #11 in particular is about castles:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186425-i307-k46…

After that there are so many options for places to stay; Betws y Coed, Beddgelert, Llandudno, Criccieth etc.

ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Itinerary in Wales

Many thanks for your help , much appreciated.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
521 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Itinerary in Wales

How about Beaumaris for a first stop? Not too far to drive from Holyhead, castle, beach, lovely views across the Straits to Snowdonia and a great gaol.

And it's flat for pushing a buggy.

ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Itinerary in Wales

Thanks lelogthecat,. So if i stop in Beaumaris 1st night, we are thinking of driving down the coast staying some where on route, any reccommendations? Want to stay in Tenby & Cardiff (how many nights should we stay here) and continue back up a different route back to holyhead and staying some where on the way.

Have a total of 7 nights so is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

7. Re: Driving Itinerary in Wales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 01:18