We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on First trip to wales.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help on First trip to wales.

We hope to be travelling to wales in early september for 1 weeks stay.

we being my wife & I.

I have been looking & reading from various forums & can`t decide which part to go to.

Pembrokeshire looks lovely along the coast but so does snowdonia & the Brecon beacons.

We like looking at scenery, walking & visiting interesting places,castles museums etc.

Can anyone help or advise us on which they think is the prettiest/stunning areas to go?

We may rent a cottage, try a farmhouse B&B or Inn, again can anyone recommend somewhere where they have been.

I am finding it so difficult to make up my mind having looked at so many places.

Much appreciate any help on this one!

Thanks.

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on First trip to wales.

A thought would be to stay 2 nights in Betws y Coes area, then explore Snowdonia, Caernarfon Castle. Travel via Aberystwyth, to Cardigan area, Stay 1 night. Beautiful coastal road. From Cardigan to Tenby stay 2 nights and explore Pembrokeshire. Tenby to Llandrindod Wells or Brecon stay 1 night or Tenby to Cardiff visit Castle and Welsh Folk museum at St Fagan. Hopefully this can give you an idea. Use ggogle maps to follow the route then decide.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on First trip to wales.

Base yourself in the Llyn Peninsula area, say Cricieth for the week. You will have good access to Snowdonia and also the Llyn. The hills of Snowdonia catch the rain but the tip of the peninsula is usually in sunshine.

Criccieth has a couple of beaches and ruined castle. You are within easy reach of the ruined castles of Harlech and Caernarfon. (There is also the remains of a Roman Fort in Caernarfon. ) Beaumaris and Conwy CAstles are further but can be done as a day trip. There is also Penrhyn Castle near Bangor and Plas Newdd on Anglesay.

Portmeirion (Setting for the 1960s cult TV programme The Prisoner) is only a short drive. Then go and visit Plas Brodanw Gardens which were designed by the same person.

You have the Ffestiniog Railway which runs from Porthmadog up the Vale of Ffestiniog to Blaenau Ffestiniog where you can visit Llechwedd Slate caverns. Or there is the Welsh Highland Railway which runs either from Porthmagog or Pont Croesor a few minutes drive away to Caernarfon through the Pass of Aberglaslyn and the flanks of Snowdon. Scenically both are excellent rides and very different.

Visit Beddgelert and find Gelert's grave. Visit the Sygun Copper Mine.

Betws y Coed is a short drive and there is some good walking here.

Do the start of the Watkin Path up Snowdon to Gladstone's Rock. This is very easy walking but gets increasingly steep from here...

Llanberis for Snowdon. Visit the Slate Museum and Dolbadarn Castle.

Spend time round the Llyn Peninsula visiting Aberdaron and driving up to the coastguard station at the top for views and walks. Think about a day trip to Bardsey Island. Visit Porth Oer (Whistling Sands ) beach at low tide with its rocks and rock pools. Walk along the beach at Morfa Nefyn to Ty Coch Inn and the lifeboat station.

Go and find the tiny St Bueno's Church at Pistyll.

Visit Nant Gwthern , the 'deserted village' near Lithfaen.

Explore Cwm Pennant with its beautiful scenery and slate heritage.

Plus lots more things I've not mentioned...

Edited: 14 August 2011, 23:56
3. Re: Help on First trip to wales.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 23:15