We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a car or can I rely on public transportation?

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Topic
Do I need a car or can I rely on public transportation?

London to Cardiff

Cardiff to Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury to Conwy

Conwy to Gwynedd (Snowdonia)

Gwynedd to London

My boyfriend and I are considering doing something similar to the trip above and are wondering whether we can get away with doing it all by train without a car? Advice on transportation and our itinerary are appreciated :) We'd like to focus on medieval cities, castles and gorgeous scenery (Snowdonia).

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a car or can I rely on public transportation?

You can make all those journeys by train except Gwynedd

Gwynedd isn't a place, it's an area, and is the one bit where a car would be easier However there are buses from Bangor on the rail line that would get you to enough places to make it worthwhile. Caernarfon would be the first - it has a good castle

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
540 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a car or can I rely on public transportation?

Public transport definitely. Make sure you head west from Cardiff and take the Heart of Wales line up to Shrewsbury from Swansea.

Some great scenic train trips in your itinerary. You can also take the train down the Conwy valley from Llandudno to Betws y Coed.

There is some sort of rover ticket available for travelling on the trains in Wales if you look at the Arriva Trains Wales website

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a car or can I rely on public transportation?

Its a matter of taste, but I would put other places above Cardiff and Shrewsbury in the medieval cities and castles league. By train you could see Oxford or Chester without going out of your way although these are not in Wales obviously, but neither is Shrewsbury. If you went by car you could go to Ludlow near Shrewsbury which is small but lovely. There are also Worcester and Hereford on the way. But your choice is valid! Maybe there are personal reasons for your choice

Most of the medieval stuff in North Wales is military or ecclesiastical. There is some medieval domestic architectue, for example in Conwy, and parts of Gwydir Castle, which you can walk to from Llanrwst Station or bus stop, but most of it, in towns such as Conwy or Caernarvon is later - 1600s and on. But you will like it I am sure.

You can do North Wales without a car - I have done this many times, but you are much more limited obviously, to the main roads and towns, and sometimes the focal points of the transport system, which is designed for local people, are not the same as the tourist focal points. You will need to get a bus timetable and do some planning as buses are not always frequent, but will run on time. If you get out to look at a view, it may be a long time before the next bus comes along, so you may need to plan to bus out and walk home sometimes.

4. Re: Do I need a car or can I rely on public transportation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 10:34