We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day itinerary

Denver CO
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
7 day itinerary

I am visiting Wales in May for seven days with girlfriends. We will not want to change hotels too often. Definitely want to spend time in the North to search family roots. Also want to see gardens.How would 2 nights in Cardiff, 2 nights in Aberystwyth and 3 nights in Llandudno work? Any other ideas?

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day itinerary

I've nothing against Aberystwyth- a good traditional family seaside resort, but I'd stay in other places in preference, unbless I had children with me)

For spectacular coastline Pembrokeshire is hard to beat - the very south west corner in particular Tenby if you want a larger traditional seaside town, Broad Haven, Little Haven or Marloes if you want somewhere smaller. Recommend a boat trip to Skomer Island in May- the cliffs will be absolutely alive with mating seabirds, including puffins- tens of thousands of pairs.

Further north of Aberystwyth I also like Barmouth, or inland Dolgellau in the shadow of the imperious Cader Idris.

Given your understandable wish to not change hotels everynight I'd go for Cardiff and Llandudno as proposed, but I'd chose Marloes in Pembrokeshire for the other 2 nights - the nearby coastline is spectacular and the boat to Skomer leaves from a couple of miles away. - try here http://www.chmarloes.co.uk/ (I've only dined here but it looked a lovely place to stay)

Whatever you choose- have a great time, and every success with tracing your roots

Edited: 05 March 2012, 16:05
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day itinerary

Aberystwyth area makes sense as it is a convenient stop between Cardiff and Llandudno. It also means you can take your time and do other things on the way. You drive u p through the Brecon Beacons, one of the scenic areas of Wales.

Marloes to Llandudno is going to mean 4+ hours driving plus stops.

There's more to Aberwystwth than the seaside resort. Go for a ride on the Vale of Rheidol Railway. Not only do you get a ride behind a steam train, it is also a very good run especially at the top end.

http://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/

Also visit Devil's Bridge and do the Waterfalls Walks. They are amazing.

http://www.devilsbridgefalls.co.uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day itinerary

For Gardens in The North, there is Bodnant of course, but also Plas Brondanw - small but perfect, and practically free.

You could travel up to the east, not the west, and stop over near Powis Castle - beautiful gardens there.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
661 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day itinerary

Agree with EESW, Aberystwyth would be an ideal stopping off place halfway between north & south. You would find plenty to keep you occupied. There is the National Library of Wales, the Rheidol steam railway, museum & art gallery, the cliff railway to the top of Constitution hill. Inland about 15 miles away on the A44 is Bwlch nant yr Arian, where every day you can see the red kites being fed, in May this would be at 3pm ( 2pm during winter). Inland there is the historic Hafod estate go to www.haford.org/ for more information.

North of Aberystwyth there is an RSPB reserve, Ynyshir, during May the BBC programme Springwatch will be broadcast from here, & further north nearer to Machynlleth there is the Dyfi osprey project

(www.dyfiospreyproject.com ), here you would be able hopefully to observe osprey chicks in the nest. Last year three chicks were successfully hatched.

5. Re: 7 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:41