We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Wale Beaches

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
222 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Wale Beaches

Can anyone recommend a beach within 2 or 3 hours of Betws-y-Coed for a day trip? We are looking for a picturesque beach that we can enjoy and if possible but not necessary do some horseback riding on the beach. Just want to enjoy the coast....

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
432 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Wale Beaches

Although I don't think horseback riding is permitted, I can certainly recommend Newborough Beach, in the Newborough Forest and Newborough Warren National Nature Reserve on Anglesey.

A wide, expansive, sandy beach - with the Warren Sand Dunes on the eastern end (reputed to be the largest group of dunes in Europe) and Llanddwyn Island on the western end - which can be easily reached except at the fullest tides and is well worth exploring.

www.anglesey-history.co.uk/places/llanddwyn/

There are also a few small, sandy coves on Llanddwyn perfect for wading.

The main beach faces south-southwest and includes broad views of the Snowdonia peaks and Llyn Peninsula mountains. Access to the beach is from a large car park (witn WC) which is about 100 yds behind the dune line.

When we were there recently, the car park was mostly full, but the beach itself is so large, you hardly noticed where all the folks were!!!

Easy to get to from Betwys: Take the A5 north through the Ogwen Valley (superb mountains on either side) to the A55 west onto Anglesey across the Britannia Bridge and then the A4080 to Newborough.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Wale Beaches

A wonderful castle and huge beach at Harlech, well worth checking it out.

:-)

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,712 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Wale Beaches

Newborough is a nice suggestion. I can't comment about Harlech because I don't know it well, but I'm sure it's fine. Another alternative and a little bit difernt might be the beach at Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn Peninsular. I should think it is within two hours and benefits from being almost unreachable by car - you either have to walk down the cliff steps or across the golf course. There is an unusual pub ...

http://www.tycoch.co.uk/

which is rather nice for lunch, although check opening times.

4. Re: Northern Wale Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:46