We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath to Holyhead

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bath to Holyhead

We will be taking a 15 day trip to London and want to visit Bath, Stonehenge and spend a full day in the Cotswolds. Is there a direct train from Bath to Holyhead Wales? I know I need to purchase a map but I imagine it would be faster to Holyhead from Bath than from London?

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bath to Holyhead

You can buy a SailRail ticket from Bath to Dublin that covers both the train and the ferry on one ticket - and it costs less than the train fare to Holyhead alone(!).

Just go to www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk, enter Bath to Dublin Port (Irish Ferries) and it will work out train and ferry times for you.

The SailRail fare is just £38 in advance or £43 on the day from Bath to Dublin. Bargain!

I recommend the option that arrives in Dublin at 17:25, that's the reliable all-weather cruise ferry 'Ulysses', a superb ship with cruise liner amenities.

For an extra £16 paid on board the ship you can access the Martello lounge above the ship's bridge, with complimentary tea, coffee, red and white wine, cheese and smoked salmon canapes and best of all, a superb forwrd view of the coast of Ireland approaching. Rather more romatic than a stressful airport terminal!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bath to Holyhead

If you want to go London to Dublin, that also costs £38 in advance or £43 on the day (and remember - a train ticket from London to Heathrow airport costs £15 on its own, before the cost of the flight!)

The best service leaves London's Euston station in central London at 09:10 Mon-Fri, 08:50 Saturdays, 08:15 Sundays, arriivng Dublin Port at 17:25.

It's a lovely scenic journey on the traditional historic route to Ireland, along the North Wales coastline past Conway Castle and onto Anglesey over the famous Britannia Bridge and onwards to Holyhead for the ship to Dublin.

Book from London Euston to Dublin Port (Irish Ferries) at www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk - you collect tickets from the self-service machines at London Euston or any main station.

For the record, tickets starting in Dublin should be bought at www.irishferries.com/ie/sailrail.asp as tickets can then be collected in Dublin.

Edited: 25 February 2013, 21:25
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Bath to Holyhead

Your post was so helpful....I went on the link today and see it is easy to book now that you have given us all the information we need. We also like the idea of paying the extra money to access Martello lounge and have a forward view of the coast of Ireland. Thank you so much. I never would have been able to book this trip without the help from all the knowledgeable people on Trip Advisor.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ireland
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Bath to Holyhead

Firstly I hope you will have a pleasant trip.

Regarding the return trip there are two ferry routes, Rosslare to Pembroke and Rosslare to Fishguard. If you are travelling straight to Bath from the ferry I'd recommend Fishguard because the railway station and ferry terminal are in the same building and a train meets the ferry. Also an all-in ticket Rosslare to Bath can be purchased:

stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/fishguard/

There's nothing wrong with the Rosslare-Pembroke sea route - some lovely small islands and scenery nearing the Welsh coast but Pembroke ferry terminal is about 1 mile from Pembroke Dock railway station and no all-in tickets are available.

Pembrokeshire has some lovely scenery and places to visit but if stopping off it would be necessary to buy separate ferry and train tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Bath to Holyhead

Thank you for your help. We will take the Rosslare to Fishguard way.

Chapel Hill, North...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Bath to Holyhead

You have such good information. May I ask you about a trip we're planning? We'd like to take a train from Bath to somewhere in North Wales, perhaps Llandudno, to spend the night. Then we'd like to take a train along the Wales coast. After that we're headed to the Lake District. Am not sure how to fit this together. Would love some guidance. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
17. Re: Bath to Holyhead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:17