We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Plans Assistance

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Plans Assistance

Good Evening! Your guidance and help is much appreciated on the following questions :

1) Arriving into Heathrow at 1600hours on 18May. Pick up car and intend to drive straight into Cardiff. Is this Advisable? or perhaps I should stop at a town (Windsor or Bristol?) then head to Cardiff next morning.

2) I intend to spend 4 nights in Wales. Should I just stay in Cardiff for the 4 nights and drive around Swansea, Pembroke and Brecon Beacons or 1 night each destination?

3) After Wales, I am driving to Windermere.

I have never been to Wales and just simply want to enjoy the magnificent Welsh countryside

Thank you very much!

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Plans Assistance

After such a long flight, I would find the drive to Cardiff too tiring, unless you can sleep well on the plane. You are landing at 1600 hours, which is midnight Singapore time so you may be feeling tired. OTOH it will mean you'll get an earlier start to enjoy Wales the next day.

I wouldn't stay in Windsor, it's too close to Heathrow. The only time I've stayed there, the hotel really suffered from aircraft noise. Bristol is a lot longer drive from Heathrow, so if you want a break there may be other places closer to London, it's too far from my home for me to give advice.

Cardiff to Pembroke in my judgement is too far for a day trip. The scenery in Pembrokeshire is rather flat, but the coastline is beautiful. Also try to see the Gower near Swansea. Cardiff is a city, so staying there would be more for its central location than its scenery.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Plans Assistance

Hello! Personally I wouldn't want to drive direct to Cardiff after such a long flight. One option is to stay overnight at an airport hotel and then get on the road early the next morning, another possibility might be to get as far as Reading Services on the M4 about thirty miles from Heathrow, stop at the Travelodge there, and continue the next day - the M4 is the motorway for Wales. Bear in mind it will take you at least an hour to go through immigration and collect the car which is going to bring you into the rush hour when driving on a motorway in an unfamiliar environment after a long flight might not be a good idea.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Plans Assistance

First thing: driving after the flight. Stopping at Bristol is fairly pointless - once you've driven that far you might as well carry onto Cardiff and if you think you'll be too tired to safely make it all the way to Cardiff the same probably applies to Bristol too.

Either stay as near the airport as possible and do the driving the next day or don't drive to Cardiff at all. You could take the national express coach from Heathrow Central Bus Station to Cardiff or the shuttle bus to Reading and then train to Cardiff then pick up a car the next day when a bit more refreshed.

Brecons and Swansea/Gower area are doable day trips from Cardiff. Pembroke is a bit further. It's by no means impossible, depends how much driving you want to do really.

Cardiff to Windermere is a really long drive and it'll mostly involve motorway driving (hence not particularly scenic) although the M6 is a bit nicer once you get north of Preston. Consider breaking that up with an overnight stop somewhere along the way.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,549 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Plans Assistance

Hi April-lady,

Not only are you arriving after a long flight, you will also be driving on a busy motorway for about 2 to 3 hours.

I would suggest you stay in some boring airpot hotel for Saturday night and set off on the Sunday morning.

Incidentally I do not know what sort of car you drive in Singapore but in the UK, unless you specify an automatic car, you will almost certainly get a hire car with manual gears.

On the Sunday around Cardiff you could visit St Fagans museum and Castell Coch depending on how long you spent at St Fagans. Families sometimes spend all day there.

On the Monday you could drive from Cardiff to Swansea via Brecon. If this interests I could give you an interesting route but read other people's postings first.

On the Tuesday you could drive from the Swansea area to Pembrokeshire. I am going to upset some people now by saying that, in my opinion, the best parts of the Pembrokeshire coast are West of Haverford West.

That is three days and you are still in South Wales! Then it is on to Mid and North Wales, both with their own charms!!

Good planning

Bob

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,549 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Plans Assistance

Hi again,

All of our postings have so far overlapped!! I had not seen any of the previous postings when I wrote mine.

Bob

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Plans Assistance

Pembroke has a nice castle. It's also on the Cleddau estuary, but while pretty, it's difficult to explore.

I'd agree that the nicest parts of Pembrokeshire are in the far west.

Alternatively there's the area around Tenby. Plenty of places to stay. Tenby and Saundersfoot have nice harbours, and it's a lovely stretch of coastline. Tenby is an old town, and very attractive.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Plans Assistance

Thank you so much for all your guidances! Hugs :-)

8. Re: Driving Plans Assistance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 07:16