We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

Hi,

I wanted to do a day trip in Wales, but am not sure which place I should visit. I plan on getting there early in the morning to return to London in the evening. I want to see a castle, cliffs by an ocean (hopefully a castle on a cliff by the beach!). I've been researching and places such as Swansea, Pembroke, Snowdonia, and the Great Orme looked like what I'm looking for, but there are probably a bunch I don't know about. In terms of transportation and time combined with just a day, which place in Wales would you recommend I visit? How would I get there from central London? Thanks in advance.

-Nikki

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
925 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

I reckon Llandudno might be your best option. There is a simple train from London to Llandudno Junction; some trains are direct others involve a change at Crewe or Chester. You could then use an open top bus to get around the area. The Great Orme has some lovely cliffs. You can get to the summit by tram or cable car, or take a vintage coach around the Orme.

Conwy has one of Wales finest castles.It's easy to reach from the train stationand is not that far to walk. Alternatively you can use a bus.

Hope you have a great day.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

Thank you so much for you help! Is Llandudno Junction the only stop because I have a choice for just Lladudno too.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

Some trains stop at Llandudno junction only, these are ones that are going further on to Anglesey for example. You can get off here & get a local service through to Llandudno itself. Other services go through to Llandudno & if possible that is what you should choose as it wwould save you the time waiting for a connection.

I would also recommend the open top bus that goes to Conwy & back go to www.city-sightseeing.com for more information, the buses set off every 30 minutes from by the pier & the round trip takes an hour, it drops off quite near the castle in Conwy.

Level Contributor
1,478 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

You're attempting far too much in my opinion. No X factor taken into account. ie train running, weather etc. To enjoy a snippit of Wales. Take the train London to Cardiff Bay. Enjoy a nice lunch in Bay and then walk it off on the fabulous walk around Bay via Penarth and Barrage.

There is much to see and do.

The less you see the more you remember and the lower the stress levels. Just my humble opinion of many years of travelling.

Whatever you decide i hope you have a great time.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

Llandudno as a day trip from London is not a realistic option - it is about four hours each way! Cardiff is much more sensible

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

I agree with Cardiff. You could include a visit to the castle as well. Cardiff Bay has a lovely feel...stop off at the Norwegian chapel - interesting and they used to have a nice cafe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
833 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

The Norwegian Church (not a church now) ) still has good coffee bar with meals. The Lightship is excellent too. Also some lovely places to have coffee in the Millennium centre.

There's the new Dr Who centre and BBC studios to visit.

You can also take a boat from Castle to the Bay. Recommend.

The Red Dragon Centre is excellent. Also the White Water Centre.

I haven't even started what to see and do in Cardiff itself! :-)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,755 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

While Cardiff is a good option for a day trip from london, if the OP really wants to see a castle on a cliff above a beach, they should consider Oystermouth near Swansea. It's about three hours by train from Paddington, followed by a short bus ride to Oystermouth itself.

Visitors should add a Plusbus ticket when booking the rail tickets for an extra £2.50 as this allows travel on any bus in the Swansea area. See the Plusbus website for further details.

The OP may be limited in terms of their location and ability to get to London Paddington, but an arrival into Swansea by about 1100 will allow plenty of time to explore Oystermouth and its castle, as well as enjoy a meal in some of the excellent local eateries.

Trains run back to London hourly until 2030 so it is relatively easy to enjoy a day trip to the arwa, much as local residents will take a day trip to London!

London, United...
Level Contributor
833 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

I might try that myself! What bus do I get from Swansea station? I'll use my concessionary bus pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
833 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip in Wales-Where to Go?

I might try that myself! What bus do I get from Swansea station? I'll use my concessionary bus pass.