We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Site to Visit After leaving Gloucester on Way to York

Belmont, North...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best Site to Visit After leaving Gloucester on Way to York

We are leaving Gloucester in a few weeks with 11 and 13 year old. Want them to see some of Wales as we travel toward York before coming back through the Cotswalds. Will have only a day or so in Wales...thanks!

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Site to Visit After leaving Gloucester on Way to York

I saw your other post regarding all the places you wanted to see as well as popping into Wales, looking at that list I'd suggest that you need 1 day for Oxford, you could fit in Stratford, Stow and visit your friends in Gloucester in another day. Now if you intend on going to York then popping into Wales is not really feasible as it's in the opposite direction to where you want to go, as much as it pains me to say as I live in Wales, I'd consider giving Wales a miss and maybe visiting Ludlow instead. If you do want to visit Wales, I assume you will stay in Gloucester then probably Abergavenny is reasonably easy to get to fro there, you could walk up the Sugarloaf, it takes a couple of hours round trip and there's a few castles nearby.

Even though the UK is small compared to the US, it can still take 4 hours or more travelling between cities, and the last thing you want is to spend all your time sitting in a car instead of visiting the sights.

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Site to Visit After leaving Gloucester on Way to York

Thank you so much for your comments.....I agree - so many places, so little time. I truly appreciate your thoughts

Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Site to Visit After leaving Gloucester on Way to York

Depends how much in car time the kids are comfortable with. As has been pointed out you are going the wrong way if you go into Wales intending to go to York. With a couple of days to stop and enjoy things you could plan a trip through the Brecon Beacons then to Llandidrod Wells and Newtown. It is a really wonderful drive through spectactular scenery up the spine of Wales. From there head towards Wrexham and then head east for York. Try to pick up the A59 through Yorkshire on your way to York and call in to Skipton and Harrogate. Be warned though this route is a lot of driving and not much rest for the driver. If the children get bored on long trips then it might not work. Good luck and enjoy.

4. Re: Best Site to Visit After leaving Gloucester on Way to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:16