We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this realistic?

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is this realistic?

My cousin and I are going to Wales in September. We will be walking from St. David's to St. Dogmaels. We are done late in the day on the 17th. We need to be in Manchester the evening of the 19th to catch a flight out the next morning. Do we have time to go up to Caernarfon and do a quick side trip to Snowdonia, or is that not realistic. We will not have our own car, so will be depending on busses and trains for transportation.

If this isn't realistic does anyone have an alternate suggestion for those last two days that would allow us to get to Manchester by the evening of the 19th? We are wanting to see as much of Wales as possible!

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this realistic?

I think it depends how early you can leave St Dogmaels. There is a bus leaving at 3.27pm to Cardigan, and from there you can get another bus to Aberystwyth, and then onto Caernarfon or Bangor that evening. (I think Bangor's better for getting local transport to places like Conwy, Beaumaris and Snowdonia, than basing yourself in Caernarfon for two nights). That then gives you a day and a half to see the area - if it was me I'd maybe try and see Snowdonia in a day and then maybe the castles of Caernarfon on the morning of the next day, and take the train to Conwy in the afternoon and then head back to Manchester by train.

The coach ride up from Aberystwyth is also very scenic, although the last part will be in the dark !

…traveline-cymru.info/journeyplanner/…

It'll be quite hectic but you should have the chance to see a reasonable amount of North Wales. However, if you can't make the afternoon departure from St Dogmaels then personally I don't think it is practical to do this the following morning, unless you're happy seeing the scenery from a coach and rushing around a castle or two.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this realistic?

Thank you so much for your input. I have come up with an alternate plan, which is to go to Llangollen instead. It sounds like it is a lovely village to visit, and it looks to be fairly close to Manchester. Do you think that would be a more realistic destination given the short amount of time we have?

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this realistic?

Llangollen is a lovely spot and there are some nice walks on the surrounding hills, and Chirk Castle is a short distance away - although the local scenery isn't quite as rugged as Snowdonia.

Although it's closer to Manchester than Bangor or Conwy, there isn't a huge amount of difference in the time taken to travel there, if you're relying on public transport (as Llangollen is only served by a bus service). I think the key thing is when you can leave St Dogmaels - if you can get away in time to travel to North Wales on the 17th then if i was doing the journey I'd head there; if you can't then go to Llangollen (although getting there will also be quite an adventure by bus, 2 trains and then another bus !). There are also some lovely towns on the rail line up to Manchester from South Wales - Abergavenny, Hereford, Ludlow, Shrewsbury & Chester for example, although unfortunately most of these are just the wrong side of the border !!

St. Dogmaels...
Level Contributor
297 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this realistic?

Are you walking on the 17th from Newport to St Dogmaels? If so you are looking at a hard 7 to 8 hour walk with 5,800 feet of ascent. Most people when they get here collapse and can barely move so be careful what you plan for that day. If you are walking from Moylegrove it's about a 4to 5 hour walk. If you leave St Dogmaels early the next morning you'll spend most of the day travelling by public transport to Caernarfon and the same to Manchester if you go by bus. might be an idea to get a bus to camarthen and then be on a train route to Manchester and look at some stops to break the journey. or here are some bus connections to north wales.

Cardigan x40 hourly arr Aberystwyth

Aberystwyth x32 9.45 am arr Dolgellau 11.05 am

Dolgellau x32 1.15 pm arr Caernarfon 2.45 pm

Here are some things to do in St Dogmaels tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g1474567-St_Dogmae…

St. Dogmaels...
Level Contributor
297 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this realistic?

If it was me, I'd stay in St Dogmaels , Cardigan for a night then try and book a boat trip and see the dolphins and seals etc and head off later in the day to Manchester. However if you are catching a flight, be careful with the roads and rail, it's easy to find yourself in delays.

6. Re: Is this realistic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 05:17