We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Camping and public toilets

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Camping and public toilets

Hi

We are looking to go wild camping for a week in Wales in our VeeDub. We are very considerate campers and do not make mess or noise and spoil any beautiful wild locations).

We will be moving around so don't have a particular location in mind (although it would be nice to see Snowdonia.

My question is, has anyone else done this and does anyone know any remote/pretty locations with public toilets nearby (ideally either open 24 hours or late)

Thanks

Edited: 02 October 2013, 15:32
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

Hi picaroons chest,

Almost by definition places where you will go wild camping will not have toilets anywhere near.

If you don't mind paying a campsite fee then look at this site. Both hostels have camping facilities that are very basic.

www.elenydd-hostels.co.uk

Bob

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

There's a list of public toilets in Snowdonia here eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/…toilets. And some stuff about wild camping in Wales here http://www.pitchup.com/wild-camping/ and Snowdonia in particular here: http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/visiting/faqs. Essentially, it's tolerated.

Presumably if you want to go proper 'wild' wild camping, you'll be away from any of the public toilets, and naturally, due to the risk of vandalism, most public loos close at dusk, countrywide. So you'll have to, er, do what wild campers do, or install a porta-potty in your campervan.

Dolgellau
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

I wild campervan quite a bit in mid & north Wales (I live in the area). I'm reluctant to reveal all the great spots I've found for overnight spots, here on trip advisor, but I'll give you 2 here: near Snowdon, a large & level layby on the road between Llanberis & Nant Peris (half mile to pub in Nant Peris). Little traffic in evenings.

And further south, The Rheidol valley, a large layby not far from the power station; or up in the hills, plenty spots around the Nant y Moch reservoir.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

try pubs with campsites on the web....

Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

Court Farm Llanthony in the Brecon Beacons has public toilets in a nearby car park

coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/wales/monmout… Bear in mind that in the National Park you can only camp at designated camp sites, no wild camping unless you get permission from the land owner

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

<<I'm reluctant to reveal all the great spots I've found for overnight spots, here on trip advisor>>

Maybe then Andrew you would consider sending picaroonschest a private message to protect your secrets?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

If you need public toilets, wild camping may not be for you :-)

Chester
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

wild camping with public loos, how does that work.

I see a Monty Python's crew finding empty countryside and building loos.

Regards,

Keith.

St. Dogmaels...
Level Contributor
269 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

Around Cardigan there are a couple of beaches with basic public toilets that you can pull up and stay at free of charge. Poppit Sands by St Dogmaels is great as is Newport Beach. Lots of places in the area for you to move around in and park up, plus inland to the Gwaun valley or Presili mountains. If not there are also a couple of campsites that are still open, we like Conifers in Newport.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wild Camping and public toilets

Most people who go wild camping are more than happy to go for a leak behind the closest tree, that's what we do, or dig a hole for "number twos". I don't ever recall seeing a superloo in the middle of Dartmoor, but heyho, it was foggy.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 18:38