We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many nights

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
How many nights

I have (unfortunately) only 3 nights to spend in Wales. We have planned an intinerary to visit the Aberdovey/Aberystwyth & Llandudno areas.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which of these areas would be better to spend 2 nights in & which would be adequate with just 1.

Or any thoughs regarding this would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many nights

Hi Design Diva

A few questions which may help establish how you get the best out of your 3 days:

Do you have your own transport or are you using public transport?

Where are you arriving in Wales from and where are going after Wales? (to save yourself too much time during your 3 days on the road)

Do you have any particular interests you are hoping to pursue? eg Castles and mountain walking are better from Llandudno (along with many other attractions from North Wales) The National Library of Wales, looking for wildlife, exploring Cardigan Bay's coastline would be possible from Aberdyfi.

My gut feel is go with Llandudno for the bulk of your visit because west and inland from there is the more spectacular end of Snowdonia, though Cardigan Bay has a different beauty of its own. I am sure there will be many more locally knowledgeable of what these two places have to offer who will want to chip in!

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful visit here.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many nights

Thanks JimCardiffresident.

I only wish we had more time to spend in Wales. But we will be back again, so next time!

To anwer your questions: We will have our own transport. We will be coming from Stow-on-the-Wold, England & going to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne from Wales. We are aware both of those will be a bit of a trek.

I too was leaning towards more time in Llandudno, so it's nice to hear that confirmation.

Thanks again!

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many nights

Design Diva,

There are probably more attractions in the area around Llandudno - and further west along the North Wales coast and round to the Mawddach estuary - fantastic castles at Conwy, Caernarfon, Beaumaris, Harlech etc. Snowdon and the Snowdonia National Park, Portmeirion, Lleyn Peninsula, Ffestiniog Railway, Betws-y-coed, Welsh Mountain Zoo, are the more immediate ones that come to mind. The scenery is probably a little more rugged, and spectacular in the conventional sense (if that makes sense!!) too - although the trade off is there are often more tourists around this area.

Aberystwyth and Aberdyfi, I would describe as more conventional seaside towns, with less in the way of obvious other attractions - although there are places such as the National Library in Aberystwyth, Devils Bridge, Centre for Alternative Technology and the Talyllyn and Vale of Rheidol Railways.The hinterland around them is probably more wilder and remote, and if you haven't got your own transport, more difficult to get around, but if getting out in the country and away from it all is what you're after, then it's probably the better bet.

If it was me, for a first visit, I'd be tempted to base yourself for all 3 days around Llandudno - and use the time to explore that North West corner. It does depend to some extent where you're travelling to and from, and how, though.

Wherever you go though I'm sure you'll love it - it's a beautiful part of the world.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many nights

DesignDiva: I second Montyboy's suggestion of spending time in/near Llandudno. Conwy Castle (and city walls), and Bodnant Garden are easily accessible as day trips. Llandudno has a lovely promenade and you can also visit the Great Orme.

If you had more time, I'd suggest visiting Portmeiron and Caernarfon Castle.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many nights

I know a great ghost story about Llandudno if youwant to hear it!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many nights

Jim: I want to hear/read it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many nights

Thanks to everyone else for you thoughts too. I really appreciate it. As you know, it's so hard to know where to book if you've never visited before!

Montyboy & LeeB. - I will be sure to check out the places you've mentioned as well.

And yes, Jim - I'd love to hear your ghost story!

Cheers!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many nights

I can only give you a very short version here but it involves the ghost of a one time resident of a long gone guest house in Llandudno who drowned. He would return to his room in the middle of the night - the guest who reported it heard the footsteps approaching his room in the night, and the door opening. When he reached out to switch the bedside light on his hand came into contact in the pitch blackness of his room with a face and a head of wet hair! The whole account is a longer story (apparently true) which I can't detail here but is apparently well documented in gazateers of ghosts, one of which was my source and which kept me awake when I read it as a kid!

By the way, on the Aberdyfi side of things, as someone who has frequently made the drive to Aberystwyth from Cardiff (not quite the route you would take admittedly) it can be a bit of a hike, especially the last part of the journey. Nevertheless the countryside is really beautiful around there and you could stop off for a visit to Machynlleth - a pretty country town, which also has Owain Glyndwr's Parliament House (he was the man who in 1400 almost succeeded in uniting Wales and throwing out the English).

On the whole though I think the advice of the others on here is good - perhaps on this occasion go for the whole of the stay in the north in Llandudno, and spend the time relaxing and enjoying the magnficent castles and mountains, and Llandudno itself, especially as you have a long drive before and after your journey.

You can also go hunting for some good ghost books or some good ghosts! By the way according to Peter Underwood, the eminent 'psychic detective', no part of the British Isles has more ghostly visits than Wales!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many nights

Well I'd have to disagree. Go to Aberystwth, or rather go to the Welsh Forestry Commision site at Bwlch Nant yr Arian at 15.00 hours. (about 12 miles east of the town on the A44). You will see a sight that will amaze you and it's free!!! Feeding of the red kites!! These birds are truly amazing and the feeding lasts for a couple of hours. There are few other places where you can see these birds, which once dwindled to less than 10 birds in the whole country. They have been revived by the efforts of the RSPB but are still endangered and very rare.

In any event, Aberystwyth itself is a very pleasant town. The town beaches are not up to much, but Borth and beyong have superb sands.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many nights

Well I'd have to disagree. Go to Aberystwth, or rather go to the Welsh Forestry Commision site at Bwlch Nant yr Arian at 15.00 hours. (about 12 miles east of the town on the A44). You will see a sight that will amaze you and it's free!!! Feeding of the red kites!! These birds are truly amazing and the feeding lasts for a couple of hours. There are few other places where you can see these birds, which once dwindled to less than 10 birds in the whole country. They have been revived by the efforts of the RSPB but are still endangered and very rare.

In any event, Aberystwyth itself is a very pleasant town. The town beaches are not up to much, but Borth and beyong have superb sands.