We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

Good morning, my wife and I are considering spending two nights in Wales over the Nov 29th weekend. We will be driving with our 1 year old from East Anglia. We enjoy hiking, the outdoors, history, and trying out fun restauarants!

We have never been to Wales before so I was hoping for some general advice on what city to stay in. So far I have been looking at North Wales, possibly llandudno.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

My advice would be to book a week in summer. That's a hell of a drive with a small child in 2 days when it will be cold and dark for nearly 15 hours a day. Wait till summer then book a cottage somewhere for a week - Pembrokeshire is lovely, if you're ok with the drive.

Level Contributor
2,831 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

I agree with comment 1 but if you want to do it why not stay in Chester and you could make the 40 min drive to Llandudno on the Saturday.

If you choose next summer try the Lleyn Peninsula, Porthmadog, Pwllheli and my favourite Aberdaron and whistling sands.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
670 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

Agree with PoolLounger, I have relatives who live near Spalding Lincolnshire, & from Aberystwyth it is a 6 hour journey, & that is without stopping, other than for quick toilet stops & to swap drivers ( is just me & hubby, no small children ). If you still want to do this at the end of November I would suggest Llandudno, there are loads of nice places to eat & you are near nice countryside.

Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

Assuming you live in East Anglia and can travel when/where you like, I would have to agree with the others that North wales in November for two days with a baby is a tad ambitious and not overly enjoyable, I can do Spalding to Holyhead in 5 hours non stop, but assuming a couple of toilet breaks for the youngster, it will probably take you six. Add an hour to that if you intend driving down on Friday afternoon.

Then the return journey on Sunday. Why not consider somewhere nearer for a short break?

Consider the Stamford/Rutland water area, just as nice as the Cotswolds, charming stone villages with cosy pubs and BandBs. Or even the N Norfolk coast if the wind is not in the East!

London, United...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

Some advice on towns for your trip: conwy would be my choice. Quick to reach along the north coast road. Not so much in the way of restaurants there as in llandudno, but more history and its really nice. Short safe hike on conwy mountain with baby in a sling is on your doorstop. Trip up to Gwdyr castle (check its open) and swallow falls (ditto) or a drive around snowdon with maybe a short walk somewhere up there. You might be lucky with the weather but if not then gwydir, plas mawr, penrhyn castle all under cov but check opening at that time of year.

Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

thanks fot he advice! I think we will lean towards a day trip closer to home. Rutland looks very nice!

Level Contributor
47 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

Criccieth. Some good restaurants, Moelwyn Tir a Mor, good pub The Castle, The Feathers at Llanystumdwy

stay at Moelwyn *** or Caerwylan **** or budget Awel Mor **

Or Conwy.

Since you have taken your trip where did you end up and what was it like?

8. Re: What town should we pick to stay in Wales?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:20