We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
31 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

Hello is there coach or rail from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel in Wales? How frequent is the service? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

Buses

…traveline-cymru.info/pdfs/…FLAO001.pdf

www.ghacoaches.co.uk/Timetables/001MS12A.html

Train is not really a good option as Ruthin doesn't have a railway station

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

Whilst I have never been there, it took almost 30 seconds to go to their website and find the link headed " location ". They do not mention a coach link, but do say

" A helicopter landing pad is available on site at the following co-ordinates: N 53 06 66° W 003 18 65° 207 WAL 18nm "

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

Which " Castle Hotel" are you booked into?

There is the hotel within the castle that samd is referring to or there is the Castle Hotel, which is a Wetherspoons pub/hotel. It is very nice but not as grand as the Ruthin Castle Hotel

jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/…the-castle-hotel

Or

http://www.ruthincastle.co.uk/index.php

Whichever you are booked into you will have a great time as Ruthin is very interesting.

If you are staying in the real castle still pop into Wetherspoons, for a nice pint when you are exploring the town.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 06:17
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

I notice from your other thread that you intend to spend three nights in North Wales. Ruthin is not an ideal location to explore North Wales by public transport but you can get buses that will take you to Llandudno, about two hours, St Asaph and Denbigh and Holywell are also nearby.the North Wales coast is well worth visiting.

These bus planners might be useful

…traveline-cymru.info/journeyplanner/…

arrivabus.co.uk/timetables-and-tickets/…

There is a main line railway station at Abergele Pensarn for onward travel along the coast to Bangor and Holyhead but these trains are local ones and stop frequently , the high speed train for Holyhead stops at Llandudno Junction.

As you are intending to travel on to Ireland and are arriving at Chester could I suggest that you book accomodation near the railway in say Llandudno or Conwy.

Ruthin is a lovely place and I would not say anything against staying there but its not the best or easiest location for what you have in mind overall

Edited: 22 November 2013, 07:39
Chester
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

Hi,

I don't use public transport that much but I think the best option would be a bus from Chester to Mold and then a bus Mold to Ruthin. I would guess a taxi would be about £50 from Chester to Ruthin or about 1/2 that if you got the bus as far as Mold. I think it is GHA coaches that run the bus service around Mold. The X1 goes Chester-Mold-Ruthin and this bus runs twice a day but Mold - Ruthin is once an hour.

Keith.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
31 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

Thank you all for your kindness. I decided I would leave my helicopter at home for this trip.....

7. Re: Transportation from Chester England to Ruthin Castle Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17