We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on travelling in wales for 1 week, anytime from 27th Dec till 8 Jan

As I am located in Edinburgh, was thinking of travelling to Conwy for 2 days followed by visiting Llanfairpwllgwyngyll then maybe heading to Snowdon for 5 days. Currently a student so hoping to do all of this by public transport. Any recommendations and advise would be helpful!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,210 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

As you live as far north as Edinburgh you are probably used to the limited hours of daylight, which is what you'll also get in North Wales at this time of year.

I think it would be best to visit after 1st January, so if you only have 8 days you would have to leave from Edinburgh on 2nd January.

You can catch a train from Edinburgh to Conwy, which will include a couple of changes on the way.

But looking at trains fares on www.nationalrail.co.uk you are looking at £117.40 for a return ticket. I'm afraid it's too late to book any of the cheaper advance train tickets that would usually be available.

You could have a look at getting the coach on www.nationalexpress.com but it would be a long journey.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 00:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

that;s seriously expensive a ticket. But costs aside, I am trying to find places in wales where I can hike and walk for most of the day time. Snowdonia National Park seems like the most likely candidate. Any other places recommended?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

If you can only come on those dates I would suggest booking your accomodation ASAP and book it for the same place, as switching around especially over NYE might be difficult.

Llandudno has plenty of accomodation to suit most budgets and there are good bus links to all the places you will want to see.Train too along the North Wales coast and on to Anglesey.

Plenty of restaurants to suit most budgets and supermarkets and takeaways to keep cost down.

In Snowdonia itself your options will be somewhat limited but try Llanberis but it might be booked up esp for NYE.

Fly to Manchester with Flybe from Edinburgh, if you are quick you can get return flights for less than £100.

Then train from Manchester Airport to Conwy for £16 one way.

Then you can explore North Wales by bus

Arrival or Padern buses just google them

Llanfair PG is not much more than a sign at a railway station.

Hope this helps , if not just ask away.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 00:26
Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
513 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

If you look on Arriva trains Wales website, Edinburgh Waverley to Conwy is about £40 each way for the period you're looking at. Cheaper if you have a student railcard. Don't buy the first ticket you see, look for the best prices each day. That's not a bad price.

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Home.aspx

You can buy combined bus and train rover tickets when you are there

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

Nothing to see or do in Llanfairpwll except the railway sign and a tourist trap shop or two. With limited time you would do better to concentrate on Snowdonia.

If you want to go to Anglesey then Beaumaris is worth a visit with lovely views across the straits.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 09:42
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,210 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

"If you look on Arriva trains Wales website, Edinburgh Waverley to Conwy is about £40 each way for the period you're looking at"

I didn't see those cheaper fares on www.nationalrail.co.uk - unless I was doing something wrong none of those cheap fares were showing yesterday!

Yes, there is a advance single ticket from Edinburgh to Conwy available for £46 on 2nd January, but it's on the 14.51 from Edinburgh, arriving into Conwy at 19.52. If the OP doesn't mind getting there so late then that's fine.

Returning from Conwy to Edinburgh 8 days later on 9th Jan on the 18.26 from Conwy, arriving into Edinburgh at 23.40 will cost only £33.

If I were the OP I'd book those tickets asap, and also get accommodation booked asap.

I always find www.booking.com to be a good site.

You could do a circular tour - a couple of days in Conwy as you had planned, then around to Caernarfon by train/bus, then to Llanberis, Betws y Coed and back up to Conwy of even Llandudno from where you could also get a train back to Edinburgh. There are advance single tickets available for £46 back from Llandudno Junction to Edinburgh on 9th Jan.

P.S. the Snowden Sherpa buses are useful for traveeling around Snowdonia:

www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp…

Edited: 04 December 2013, 12:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

Thanks for all the replies! Seems like there's nothing much in Llanfairpwll. Is there anyway to hike to snowdon from any of the places as mentioned above? As I believe it's quite inaccessible by any form of transport other than driving.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

You need to be in Llanberis to access Snowdon easily but that would involve a bus (infrequent) from Caernarfon or Bangor. Also, Snowdon in December or January is not to be tackled lightly. Conditions can change rapidly and what began as a a 'hike' can become dangerous.

Why not look at walks/hikes around Betws y Coed? If you stayed at Conwy you could get there quite easily by the Conwy Valley rail . Or, adapting Matt's suggestions slightly stay in Betws itself for a night or two.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

Some good coastal walks.

There is a cycle walking path alongside the seashore, easily accessible

Train to Pensarn /Abergele and walk back to Llandudno via Rhos on Sea?

Easier to get into Snowdonia/Llanberis from the coast than stay in Llanberis and try to get around from there.

More options open to you if you stay on the coast in terms of accomodation and transport.

For Snowdonia

http://www.padarnbus.co.uk/

For North Wales

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
513 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week in Wales Dec-Jan

Sorry Matt 1376 but they were there this morning, several trains each day for £40 and £46, I looked from January 1st onwards. As a family we do a lot of travelling by train the length and breadth of the country and Arriva Wales often has better prices than many sites which claim to have the cheapest tickets, Trainline, Red spotted hankie etc. But I am only usually looking for tickets which start or end in Wales using Arriva's services, so this may be the reason.