We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive through Wales

Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Drive through Wales

Hi! We will be coming from the Lake District and plan to drive through Wales and see some of it's finest sights on our way to Southwest England. Spending a night on the way. Is there any suggested north to south route to catch some sights? Where do you suggest spending the night??

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,435 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive through Wales

It really depends on what you like to see and do.

I would say head for Snowdonia National Park. It's not too difficult to get toThis is a good site with links to things to do

http://www.visitsnowdonia.info/

and this one too

visitwales.com/explore/…snowdonia

This is lovely for scenery greatestdrivingroads.com/great_roads/A4086.h…

This is another alterntive

telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/motoring/driving-r…

I would head to Cardiff to stay and enjoy some of the local food and visit the castle. Then you are ready to head out on your next journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive through Wales

Its not a bad drive from The lakes to north wales. Everyone will say you are rushing it with only one night. But if you insist then suggest You drive along the A55, look at Conwy and then go south to stay at Beddgelert or Harlech or somewhere near there as that will draw you in to the mountains and coast. In the morning drive east By a route of your choice and join the motorway network at Telford and get off down to Devon. What a shame though that you could not stay another night. I recommend The Pengwern Arms at Ffestiniog to stay for an authentic experience. If you squeezed another night out of it i would say stay in the north. Some would say go south, but i think its either/or, not both in the time you have.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,781 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive through Wales

If you are rejoining the Motorway system at M6 at Telford.

You will probably use the A5

Then that brings Llangollen and Shrewsbury in as options for places to overnight.

The A5 is an historic route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A5_road_(Great_Britain)

Edited: 12 February 2014, 21:45
Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive through Wales

Thank you all so much! Such wonderful information! I'm always taken aback by the kindness and thought people put into these forum responses!

Chester
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive through Wales

Hi,

I think you are pushing it, Keswick or the Western Lakes to the Wales boarder is about 2.5 hours, Snowdonia another 40-60 mins. J36 on the M6 down to say Powis Castle ( mid Wales will be about 3 hours). North / Mid Wales should be 2 nights because you will not see much with just an over night stay.

Keith.

6. Re: Drive through Wales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 18:35
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,435 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive through Wales

Excuse me! The Traveloho said they were going to the SW of England which starts with Somerset and Exmoor with one of the best drives in the country. Stunning and varied scenery with great food, tiny harbours and wild natural beauty and it actually takes only a little longer that the boring motorway to half way down the SW peninsula.

From the M5 turn off at Taunton to pass the Quantock Hills site of Outstanding Natural Beauty and into the villages of Exmoor with the Medieval village of Dunster with it's castle then up over the moors with the unique Exmoor ponies and red deer, down into Lynmouth a wooded area known as Little Switzerland.

Sorry Traveloho, got me rilled there for a moment. The westcountry starts with Somerset and Dorset :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive through Wales

Keep your hair on Sue! Devon was just shorthand. Lynmouth is in Devon anyway. Its the wales forum and i could have said stay in wales and dont bother with the south west at all.

9. Re: Drive through Wales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:20