We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

We enjoy scenic drives & are undecided which route to take from aberystwyth to cardiff/st fagans?

A. Go inland from Aberystwyth (& maybe stop at nearbyo waterfall) then south thru brecon beacons to cardiff?

B. Go south along coast to aberaeron, inland to lampeter, landovery, brecon, cardiff?

C. Go south to Synod Inn, then Carmarthen, then the northly or southerly route to Cardiff?

We plan to leave Aber by 8:00 & actually want to spend afternoon at St Fagan's so won't have time for lengthy stops.

Thank You for your suggestions!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,322 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

I say B

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,726 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

A for me!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,322 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

ok, A would be my choice number 2 LOL..wonder what dozydai would say

Wales
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

A for me too.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

B gets my vote

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

A.

How many votes are needed before a winner is declared?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

A for me, as long as it's the Tregaron to Beulah road over the Abergwesyn Pass (for OP - it's a winding single track road for much of its length, with hairpin bends and steep slopes at one or two points).

AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

Thank You All for the votes for routes A & B! Sounds like A may have the edge.

I am wondering if that is because more ppl perceive it to be the more scenic route?

John987654321 if we just had the time, I xpect i'd enjoy the single track road over the pass!

I appreciate all the 'votes'!

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
667 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

another vote for A, scenic until you get near Merthyr Tydfil

Milford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
430 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic route from Aberystwyth to Cardiff?

Good - a Welsh Road Trip question - love these (I'm useless when it comes to B&B's)!

Of course, you haven't given yourselves enough time to really enjoy the Mid-Wales landscape to get to St. Fagan's by afternoon (good choice though), but, to expand on what John987. . . . brings up - THIS would be a great driving route from A (berystwyth) to B (recon) to C(ardiff):

A485 to Tregaron - then the Abergwesyn Mountain Road across to Beulah - carry on 3 mi E on the A483 to the B4519 thru to the B4520 to Brecon. The whole route is twists, turns, vistas, and mountain air!

From Brecon - it's a pretty straight shot south through the Beacons on the A470 - with the first part still pretty attractive (at least until you reach Merthyr T). BUT, if mountain driving and scenery is still quickening your pulse - then try this further diversion:

A short run East on the A40 to Bwlch and then the B4560 south across to Beaufort - I don't think you'd be disappointed. From there it would be easy enough to back track west along the Head of the Valleys Road (A465) to A4060/A470 south.

Enjoy the ride no matter the route - that's one great (and frustrating) thing about Cymru - plenty of great roads and so little time!