We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

GJS
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

We're an American couple flying from the States into Manchester, renting a car, and then driving to Betws-y-Coed to hike Mt. Snowden. Our flight arrives in Manchester at 9:30 so we will likely need to stop and eat en route. Any helpful suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

Assume you mean the morning? Assuming normal times to exit the airport you could just about be at betws for a late lunch, I would say. However, you might be hungry. You will see various cafes or small diners and small service stations along the way and you could just stop and eat, get an All Day English Breakfast, or whatever else is on offer. Otherrwise it is a bit difficult. i once stopped off at St Asaph and there was a nice cafe by the cathedral, and I could see a few pubs. If you get past that I would wait to stop at Conwy and have fish and chips at the cafe just inside the quay gate, or anywhere in the town, really. Then its only half an hour to Betws.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
925 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

I hope you're used to driving in the UK, otherwise you may find the drive tough. I assume it's an overnight flight, so you may not have much sleep, and it'll feel like the middle of the night when you start your drive.

If you want an early stop, I'd suggest Chester, which is a walled city with some exciting architecture, including the Rows, which date back hundreds of years and were an early shopping arcade.

Otherwise I'd agree with YesIdaresay. Conwy would make a pleasant break, and is an hour beyond Chester. St Asaph is another nice place with a cathedral, but personally I'd go for Conwy, I like the walled town with its castle. However Conwy is very popular, and you haven't said when your're coming, if it's peak season, parking might be difficult by lunchtime.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,755 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

Driving an unfamiliar vehicle on the wrong side of the road after an overnight flight and a change of time zones isn't just tough, it's dangerous.

GJS
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

Thanks for the response. Good suggestions.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

Chester is a visit in its own right

Your request is to seek somewhere to eat between Manchester and North Wales

So forget Chester it is a detour a difficult place to park and expensive for parking too just to stop for a bite

Opposite the car rental

Village at Manchester Airport is a pub and you could get a snack or a breakfast there. It's not marvellous but it is convenient

I would also suggest St Asaph it is adjacent to the A55 and plenty of parking at the Talardy or the Plough both within minutes of the turn off at the A55

Lenty of choice there and it's just over an hour from MCR. Airport

Conwy has restricted parking too and is a lace to spend time in not really suitable as a roadside stop as I am thinking that it what you want

There is the Travellers rest at Caerwys again at the roadside along with Mac Donald's , Little Chef the OK DINER. All fast food that you will be familiar with but convenient non the less

You could also leave the A55 at Abergele and get fish and chips or call into a cosy pub called the Harp a personal favourite

Again Abergele is very close to the A55 and parking is easy and mostly free if you use Tesco car park

I will leave it to you to judge whether you want to drive straight off the plane because this type of thread always attracts payers who just want to tell you not to do it without giving you the info you need

Chester
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

Hi,

I would stop at the village of Frodsham just leave the M56 at junction 12 and park in the main street (A56) this road runs parallel to the motorway and re-join at the next junction.

I would then head across country to Betws-y -coed via Ruthin and the A5, this is very scenic route.

Keith.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

You arrive in this country at 3:30 in the morning your time. You will just have had breakfast on the plane. Other than services (KFC and the like) on the A55 there's nothing really that isn't a time-consuming detour on your route. If it was me I'd just want to get to Betws and crash out. I might buy a bar of chocolate at the airport, but a meal is the last thing I'd want.

(And it's Snowdon! Not Mount, and not Snowden.) And, finally, go along the A55 to J19 and down the A470 even if your SatNav says otherwise. It's much easier, and probably quicker.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,755 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

>>>I will leave it to you to judge whether you want to drive straight off the plane because this type of thread always attracts payers who just want to tell you not to do it without giving you the info you need<<<

I find it helpful to the OP and the local population to point out that it is dangerous to drive in some circumstances. I haven't said not to do it, but the fact needs to be stated somewhere.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

I agree the M56/A55 os the best route

If you just want a quick bite then there are hot food vans in several lay bys free parking

They serve bacon sandwiches , sausage sandwiches and mugs of tea and coffee

Quality varies but every visitor should have at least one stop at a greasy spoon van

Might just fit the bill for you

Quick cheap stop at the roadside saving time and reducing the risk of getting lost

Keep left and you can pull over easily

The A55 is a dual carriageway with free flowing traffic mostly the speed limit is 70mph but you can also encounter slow moving tractors

And stick to speed limits exceeding them

Especially in North Wales can be costly

Speed cameras abound

wrexham
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Manchester to Betws--Where to Eat En Route?

Go to the Georgians dragon in Abergele super staff and super food