We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding B&B's in Wales

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Finding B&B's in Wales

We've done a fair bit of traveling in Ireland, where it is easy to find an available B&B when you're not sure where you will end up by the time the evening rolls around -- just start looking for the signposts which show the way to B&Bs in almost every town. Just drop in, ask if there is a vacancy (usually there is), check out the room, and they are almost invariably in the same price range.

We will be traveling to Wales for the first time this year. My question is, is the B&B experience in Wales similar to that in Ireland, or is it advisable to have reservations for each night?

Thanks in advance.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding B&B's in Wales

Whilst it sounds romantic and carefree I wouldn't recommend busking it and just "dropping in"

The main tourist towns in Wales do get busy and whilst they might not get fully booked out you could have a tiresome time searching.

In the rural areas there are bed and breakfast places, farmhouses, larger houses and the like that welcome visitors. However if you come across one and they have no vacancies then it could be a few miles along unfamiliar roads ( perhaps without a phone signal) before you came to the next one.

If you prefer the spontaneity and the flexibility then go for it, you can drop on some nice places and be pleasantly surprised.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 06:02
england
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding B&B's in Wales

you'll find considerable difference in quality and price and less availability then in Ireland. Depends when you are visiting but I'd prebook at least some of the time

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding B&B's in Wales

I'm with the pre-book tendency. If you really don't want to commit too far ahead I'd suggest doing advance research for places you may want to stop at and have some lists of B & Bs that you can phone a day or two ahead to book - it could save a wearying drive.

You haven't given the timing of your visit other than "this year" but if you coincide with school holidays (roughly mid July to end of August) and especially the August bank holiday (last Monday in the month) resorts places will be busy and vacancies limited - even more reason to book ahead.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,932 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding B&B's in Wales

Pre book it unless you are happy to spend most of the afternoon driving around in search of available and acceptable accommodation.

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding B&B's in Wales

Thank you for the input. I should have mentioned that our trip is September. Based on your feedback, we'll try to make accommodation arrangements in advance.

6. Re: Finding B&B's in Wales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:16