We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing in Wales - base at Builth Wells

Woking, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Sightseeing in Wales - base at Builth Wells

Hi Friends, I ended up making a last minute holiday booking with 3 nights stay at Builth Wells starting tomorrow. I need some ideas on sightseeing with a base at Builth. Since we are with a 3 year old, long walking trails are out, unless we can push a buggy. We are interested in beaches, steam engines, some mountains, any animal safari / park on the way, etc. Your help is much appreciated....

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing in Wales - base at Builth Wells

Elan Valley, Red Kite Feeding Centre at Gigrint Farm near Rhayader. Vale of Rheidol steam railway from Aberystwyth to Devl's Bridge. Nearest sandy beach is probably Borth/Ynyslas but you are a good hour and a quarter from the coast.

Otherwise look here

http://www.visitmidwales.co.uk/

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing in Wales - base at Builth Wells

The nearby spa town of Llandrindod Wells has some parks for your little one to run around in and a lake.

Woking, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing in Wales - base at Builth Wells

Thanks for the inputs. Gigrint, Elan Valley and Vale of Rheidol are a sure add to the list. Llandrindod Wells looks nice and I am going to read a bit more about it.

Is it practical to go to Snowdonia or Pembrokshire and return to Builth? I am very keen on Pembrokshire and do the dolphin sighting; but as per google is a good 2 1/4 hour drive away. And Snowdonia is the other way 2 1/2 hour drive.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
433 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing in Wales - base at Builth Wells

I personally think Snowdonia is practical (we had to drive through Builth Wells and Snowdonia on our way from Llanwrtyd Wells to Conwy). If you leave after breakfast, you'll still arrive in Snowdonia during the morning and have plenty of time to do things. Most people don't like long drives but I don't mind them.

I know it's not on your list of things to do but Llanwrtyd Wells, a stone's throw from Builth Wells, is in the midst of hosting the 2014 World Alternative Games (8-25 Aug.). With events like Pea Shooting, Belly Flopping and Russian Egg Roulette (among others) all going on from 14-16 Aug, it could be quite entertaining. They have things specifically tailored for children too (one called Pooh Sticks) but I'm not sure of the schedule for those events.

5. Re: Sightseeing in Wales - base at Builth Wells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 06:17