We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

University of Wales, Aberystwyth

11 posts
Save Topic
University of Wales, Aberystwyth

I was researching possibly going to graduate school in Wales. Can anyone tell me what the town of Aberystwyth is like? Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, UK
Merseyside England
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

My son has been attending Aber Uni also my Daughter and Son in Law went there and lived there for six years,

There are lots of pubs, and lots of special offers every night on drink, so beware! you will need self discipline if you are to devote time to studies. But from what they have said it is a fun place to be, safe with a very low crime rate and friendly coppers!

A small old town with pastel coloured houses and the Castle ruins overlooking the sea, a high street runs through the town, and a train station is in the centre of town. Aber is surrounded by hills and mountains and can feel isolated especially so in winter. There are very good sports facilities up at the Uni, and a public Leisure centre. First year in halls will include a 'Loyalty Card' which will get you food and drink at any of the campus restaurants, card can be topped up at any time with extra cash by you or your family.Please ask if anything specific you wish to know......

Best regards

Tricia

Pembrokeshire...
Level Contributor
258 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

I went to Aber Uni and it's a very friendly town with lots to do right on the coast.

It is a little isolated from any major towns or cities although you can hop on a train or bus if you need to.

You will find that Welsh people are extremely hospitable athough we do like a drink!

If you're more of a city gal, Cardiff (Capital city of Wales) also has a University with a very good reputation in many disciplines.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Bolton
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

Aber is the most wonderful place to go to Uni. It is small and friendly. It has a wonderful impromptu nightlife. As it is a small place with a lot of students anything goes and you can have wonderful pub crawls.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

I may be going to live in Lampeter (Llambedr Pont-Steffan) in the next couple of weeks.

I must admit that Aberystwyth is not such a nice town. Pretty dirty and grimy and all sea-side like. But much more happening than where I'm going to be!

Mentioned in this post
Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, UK
Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

selena,

cant comment on the campus as i did not attend , but i lived and worked in aber for 15years,and it is a wonderful mismatch of university/seaside town and tourist spot, lots going on, plenty of nightlife, and lots around the area

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

My husband did his postgraduate degree here. It is a quiet town (compared to the sort of student life you would get in some bigger cities) but a beautiful one. If you enjoy the outdoors and aren't bothered about fancy shops, bars and clubs, then it's the place for you. Something else to consider is transport time. I was studying in Exeter at the time and it used to be a LONG LONG drive across Wales!

Mentioned in this post
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,172 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

The main thing to know is that it's a long way from anywhere else - 3 hours to Birmingham, 4 hours to Cardiff, 4 hours to Manchester, 4h30m to London by train

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

No one has mentioned that Aberystwyth is the home of the fantastic National Library of Wales, set high on the hill overlooking the sea, next to the main university campus. It is far far more than a library. Architecturally not only is it an exquisite if not slightly odd mixture of classical and art deco, it houses exhibition galleries, and a marvellous film and sound archive centre.

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=2

The main university campus also has a modern arts centre which has a regular film, music and drama performances, and lots of other things going on, and is a nice place to hang out.

http://www.aberystwythartscentre.co.uk/

If you're used to city life, Aberystwyth may be a bit of a culture shock, but so many people I know who have spent a period of time there become fiercely loyal about it.

As others have pointed out, the most annoying thing about Aberystwyth is that it is a bit of an effort to get to and from.

Mentioned in this post
Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
9. Re: University of Wales, Aberystwyth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 09:33