We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Crown, Pantygelli

Which Abergavenny hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Crown, Pantygelli

Had great expectations, unfortunately would not recommend eating here, the food is overcooked and completely under seasoned. The meat seemed like it was warmed up from the day before and the steak was very very tough. Mash potato was rock solid and dry, roast potatoes were so chewy they were almost impossible to eat.

waiting staff weren't to be seen throughout the meal.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
434 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

Sarah_fliss's first post does not reflect our experience. Our walking group of 20 or so visited at Sunday lunchtime and had a really good meal. The food was freshly cooked and delicious, the staff were great and it is hard to see how, given the proximity of the bar to the tables, waiting staff could not be seen. However, anyone can have an 'off day' and it may be that Sarah_fliss was unlucky ~ give it another go, the reviews suggest your experience was an isolated one.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,505 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

I cannot understand why Sarah_fliss did not post a review on the restaurant site instead of the travel site?

Seems like a plant IMHO

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

travelbob31, agree, you may be correct,she may be a troll, however, would suggest,you check how many of the posters who said it was a nice place have put in a review,think you may be surprised

Usk, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

What would you dress in to go there x

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
434 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

Pretty much anything, I think. Most people wore 'smart casual' when we were there on a Sunday lunchtime. We, however, were in walking gear and we didn't feel out of place. I wouldn't have felt overdressed if I had been in more formal attire though.

South Wales
Level Contributor
1 post
88 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

I have to comment on The Crown as I live only a few miles away from this superb restaurant / pub. The food is always good quality and homemade, giving good service and quality. The proprietors are available and very friendly, serving food and drinks alongside their staff.

During the winter a log fire is burning, and during warmer weather there is very pleasant seating area at the front, very little traffic passes as it is situated on a country lane.

This is definitely one eating place I would recommend to my friends.

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

I was horrified to read this review as I know it's just not true. Where do these people come from? I've only had fabulous meals and terrific service at this pub. Yesterday lunch for example there was the full team on plus the waitresses. All have a smile, management always make time to stop and chat. the menu was small and concise but plenty to choose from ....fussy teenagers, fussy vegetarian granny...my brother is beyond fussy and out the other end. Had a small sulk about the lack of turkey but very happy with his beef and bubble & squeak. We drove 50 miles each way to have lunch here. I think that speaks volumes as we do have our own very nice restaurants in Great Malvern!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

"I was horrified to read this review as I know it's just not true"

Well, it was posted five years ago....

Malvern, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: The Crown, Pantygelli

Just saw that! Phew! I was outraged of Malvern on your behalf!

Get answers to your questions about Abergavenny