We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel plan

Wethersfield
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
travel plan

We need help planning our trip. We will be arriving in Manchester around noon and then taking a train to Chester. We plan on spending the rest of the day in town and staying overnight. Then we have 2 days to explore North Wales. Our hotel is in Conwy and that's where we wil be for the next 2 nights.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel plan

What are your interests?

England
Level Contributor
522 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel plan

One day I'd suggest a walk around Conwy, the castle and walls in the morning followed by lunch at the Castle Hotel in the centre of Conwy then a boat cruise up the River Conwy in the afternoon.

Island of Anglesey...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel plan

Hi--sorry sir but you you do not specify what your mode of transport is?.

Wethersfield
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel plan

We will be travelling by car. I plan on purchasing the Heritage Pass and seeing some castles. We also love the beach; so any suggestions for a nice beach. We love to swim and would love to go to a beach for a few hours.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel plan

Hi asia06

I definitely recommend Caernarfon Castle as well as Conwy - they are the two best castles in north Wales in my opinion.

Also, you can go on the Blaenau Ffestiniog railway - narrow gauge steam railway. Also at Blaenau Ffestiniog there are the Llechwedd slate caverns where you can do an underground tour.

Have a lovely time.

England
Level Contributor
522 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel plan

For a beach day I'd recommend Newborough on the west coast of Anglesey - wonderful pine forest walks and outstanding sandy beach.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel plan

North Wales in 2 days !!!! WOW

Chester to Conwy will take you about 60 minutes.

Arrive at your hotel and then spend the day exploring Conwy it's castle, Plas Mawr House and the harbour. If you have time, visit Bodnant Garden or maybe, the Copper Mine on Llandudno's Great Orme. That is your first day over without a mad rush.

Second Day - either Caernarvon or Beaumaris Castle. Both are splendid, but Beaumaris is accepted as being the best example of a Norman Castle.

If Beaumaris then visit parts of Anglesey or perhaps move on to Caernarfon & Llanberis.

If Caernarfon maybe take a steam train or drive out to Llanberis to visit the Dinorwig Power Station (largest man made cavern in Europe), the Slate Museum and may be a train ride down the lake. From here you can drive back through the mountains of Snowdoni to Betws y Coed and then back to Conwy.

try www.visitwales.com

Wethersfield
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel plan

Thank you for suggestions. I will go the Wales site to do more research.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel plan

"Beaumaris is accepted as being the best example of a Norman Castle"

If I remember my history correctly it was not built by the Normans, but the Plantagenet Edward I during his various disagreements with the Welsh. Most of the great North Wales castles (whether built by English, Welsh or both) date from this time.

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel plan

I agree with the plan that esorlegin gave you - some great tips there and I recommend Llanberis and Caernarfon especially!

I would come to Caernarfon Castle over Beaumaris because it's awesome - The greatest of the great castles... of course I am bias :)

Have a lovely time in North Wales!!

Oh, and remember to visit the Smallest House!