We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
184 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Travel advice

My husband and I are still dithering over the best way to travel to Wales and then Ireland next April. We have 3 days in London and then 4 or 5 spare days before a concert and tour in Ireland. We want some help on the best way to do Wales. I am nervous about the ferry crossing due to sea sickness but would give the fast cat a go (it's less than2 hours I'm told). Please advise on these 2 options or other combinations.

a)hire car from London and drive to Chester, stay Conwy area for 3 nights, drive down to Cardiff and fly to Dublin or

b)catch train from London to Cardiff, hire car drive north to Conwy area and then ferry across Irish sea.

What would happen if weather too bad? Don't want to miss concert in Dublin. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Vicki

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice

Hi Vicki,

This is only a suggestion as other TA may give more info.

I would personally hire a car in London and drive to Chester (4-5hrs).

From Chester to Conway it is a straight through road, A55 dual carriagway.(1.5hrs).If your doing the train journey from London to Chester you will have to change trains either in Manchester or Liverpool.Manchester to Chester or

Liverpool to Chester is not far. (1hr journey).

I am not sure if there is a train from London to Chester.

From Conway to Holyhead,its about 1.5 hrs journey via car.Here you will pick up the ferry to Ireland.Check with car hire your insured to take car to Ireland.

If you want to fly,fly from Liverpool airport,quicker to fly from here than travel back on yourself to Cardiff.

The Irish sea can get rough so be aware,take sea sickness tablets,they usually work and you can buy them here at a chemist.

If the weather is very rough(Irish Sea),ferries will be delayed or cancelled for safety reasons.

Instead of spending 3 days in Conway,why not spend two days in Conway,drive to Liverpool,spend a day sightseeing in Liverpool and take a flight the next day to Ireland.Flights from Liverpool to Ireland (Easy Jet) flight.

Liverpool to Ireland book via internet.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice

I'd fly to Dublin, especially if you have to be there at a particular time. You can do this from a number of UK airports, including Cardiff and Liverpool.

www.aerlingus.com

www.ryanair.com

Not all car hire companies will let you take a car from the UK to Ireland, and some of those who do are likely to surcharge you for doing this. It's worth doing a bit of homework on costs. You don't say where you will be visiting in Ireland but you certainly won't need a car in Dublin and depending on where else in Ireland you plan to visit, you may be able to make use of public transport and/or guided tours. But you still have the option of renting a car locally for the days you might need it. Check out the Top Questions about Ireland and Top Questions about Dublin sections on the Ireland Forums for more information, and post on the Ireland or Dublin Forums if you need any help with that leg of your trip.

The Irish Sea can be pretty challenging, especially if you are prone to sea sickness and even with anti-sea sickness medication. Weather and sea conditions in April can be unpredictable - you might be lucky but you could also face a rough crossing. The fast ferries (cats) take just under 2 hours but have a tendancy to be cancelled in rough weather. If this happens, you will automatically be transferred to the next cruise ferry sailing. These are less prone to cancellation although can be subject to delays in bad weather. Also, the crossing takes closer to 4 hours which can be quite an endurance test if seas are rough.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice

EasyJet don't fly to the Republic of Ireland, just Northern Ireland (Belfast).

Ryanair is your only option from Liverpool, and Aer Lingus from Cardiff.

England
Level Contributor
522 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advice

Virgin Trains have a direct service Mon to Fri from London Euston to Llandudno Junction (nearest to Conwy) with taxi office on site and car hire locally.

I suffer from seasickness and have had no problem on the fastcat (Stenaline larger than Irish Ferries). There is a train directly to Holyhead ferry from either Conwy or Llandudno Junction with the ferry terminal directly next door for fastcat journeys.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advice

I wouldn't worry too much about seasickness. Take some pills, do some research on other precautions (plenty of rest, avoid certain foods etc) and stay on deck if you can - fresh air always helps.

Personally I find those fastcats induce more queasiness than ordinary boats because of their odd lateral rolling motion. Weather in April can be very good or can be rough - never can tell.

You otherwise could take an easyjet flight from Liverpool but they only fly to Belfast, not Dublin. belfast to Dublin is only a couple of hours drive, but check whether you can cross the border if you hire a car in N.Ireland.

If your desire is to visit North Wales then I would not start your journey in Cardiff unless you also intended to visit South Wales (which also has many beautiful and interesting areas and is well worth a visit in itself). The road journey from Cardiff to North Wales is an arduous drive (although you will pass through some lovely countryside). The road journey from London to Conwy only takes 20 minutes longer than the journey from Cardiff to Conwy.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advice

Either Fly or take a Cruise Ferry not the Cat (bumpy in a calm sea). If you are not returning to the UK you wont be able to hire a car 1 way, if you are the hire will be at premium rates. If not flying, I would take the train to Wales then across the ferry as foot passengers, only hire a car for outside Dublin whilst in Ireland.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel advice

How about the train from London to Chester 1 night in Chester worth a stop over, take the train from Chester to Llandudno [ J ] stay in Llandudno or CONWY it isnt CONWAY ......and then on to Holyhead for Dublin.

I would not drive from London to Chester or Llandundo, the train is around 3-4 hrs.

joana

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
184 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel advice

Thank you all for your help. We do not want to take a car to Dublin as we are then joining a tour company - we just need to get ourselves there as the tour starts in Dublin. Could I have some mor info on why the drive from Cardiff to Conwy (how do you say that?) is an arduous one - is it the long distance, narrow roads or something else? I just want to see the countryside if I can as it just looks stunning. the distance won't bother us as Australia is a big place and we often drive long distances for a weekend . You have all given me food for thought and I appreciate it.

9. Re: Travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about North Wales