We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chwilog

Cardiff
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chwilog

I'm looking to book a cottage in August in Chwilog. I'm trying to find out if there will be much to do in the area for 3 children aged 15, 11 and 7. The website the cottage is on has the usual information, but i'm just wondering if we will be far from the beaches. Also the teenagers will want to spend a day at an amusement park so just wondering which one would be the closest.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chwilog

Chwilog is inland and you will need to drive for the beach. There are however lots of good beaches within a few minutes drive - Criccieth, Black Rock Sands, Nefyn, Morfa Nefyn. A bit further down the peninsula try Llanbedrog, Aberdaron. Porth Oer, Porth Neigl (a good tramping beach).

There used to be a big Holiday Camp near Pwllheli but it no longer gets a mention on the web, so I don't know whether it is still open/operating.

This place is further to drive but does get good reviews on TA and may satisfy the kids.

www.greenwoodforestpark.co.uk/index.php

You can find a list of Leisure Centres here, but most are just a swimming pool.

touristnetuk.com/Wa/…index.asp

There are plenty of ruined castles to explore - Criccieth, Harlech, Caernarfon. However Beaumaris and Conwy are further to drive.

There are 2 preserved steam railways - Ffestiniog Railway and the Welsh Highland Railway. Both good runs through amazing scenery.

There are the slate caverns at Llechwedd (2 rides to do here. Both very different)

Portmeirion is quirky and worth visiting - especially if you remember the 1960s cult TV programme The Prisoner.

There is some good walking - Have a look at the walks listed under Snowdonia and llyn Peninsula here:

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-vi…

Have a look at this post about Porthmadog which is just a few miles down the road.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g616282-i13446-k…

Eleanor

Edited: 15 August 2010, 17:40
2. Re: Chwilog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2011, 06:18