We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in North Wales

Driving in North Wales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2016, 20:30
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in North Wales

Not sure what a policeman on foot can do to stop reckless drivers.

North Wales, like the Peak District and other areas of the Uk has a lot of roads that are good for enthusiastic drivers and are regularly featured in car magazines. Some of the people who come to drive these roads are idiots, hence some of the sights you have seen. However, I don't think such behaviour is prevalent or common and you don't actually say whether you saw one such incident, 2 or many more.

Just for info, you don't have to stop at a give way sign, that's what stop signs are for; there's nothing wrong with overtaking if there is a safe opportunity to do so and you don't exceed the speed limit and there's nothing wrong with driving in the middle of the road to straighten a corner if you're not impeding traffic behind, or endangering oncoming traffic or crossing a solid white line - lots of people do this in rural areas because it is easier on the car and the passengers and saves time.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in North Wales

The OP should try driving in other parts of the UK. The worst experiences I have had consistently begin at an arc which cuts in a north easterly direction at 45 degrees through the UK and going through Newbury. I have never met such angry, discourteous and aggressive drivers as I have in that region.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 19:46
Mentioned in this post
Newbury
Newbury
Berkshire, UK
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in North Wales

should have added - south of that arc, but probably excluding East Anglia - in other words the Sx3 Home Counties crowd - swear, smoke and speed.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 19:48
Mentioned in this post
East Anglia
East Anglia
England, UK
london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in North Wales

I've visited north Wales often and, sorry, but the quality of driving cannot be compared to what you get on the North Circular or the M25 ... you'll get idiots anywhere anytime, but north Wales just doesn't figure in the 10 (or even the top 20) in my estimation

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in North Wales

do you mean quality in terms of good or bad?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,895 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in North Wales

Could it have something to do with it's proximity to the ferry port?

london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in North Wales

sorry Jim ... yes it could be read two ways !! ... I meant (of course) that the standard of driving is better in north Wales than around London, even the A55 is really tame beer compared to the North Circular, although the poster seems to be talking about more rural areas

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
777 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in North Wales

From the perspective of a visitor, i have to suggest standards have deteriorated. Its over 30 years since i lived in UK, and over the years i have talked up the courtesy and skills in general, in comparrison to that of New Zealand. Sad to say, after a recent visit that i have had to reappraise those viewpoints. I found a mindset hellbent on getting from A-B at a speed that sometimes, was nothing less than suicidal. The old fashioned idea of courtesy seems to have gone out of the window. Dissapointing.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 14:46
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in North Wales

Hi

During the holiday season I've seen a lot of drivers rushing to get to either the ferry or there holiday home as fast as possible and bringing with them there city rage ways. In the off season people of retirement age abound and dont rush, just tootle along without awareness of there surrounding's. So just like any other City or Town in the UK the joys of driving. ps we have an apartment in Bulgaria. The Bulgarian drivers are MAD the main roads resemble a stock car track. UK roads are great in comparison.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in North Wales

I can only agree with Maverick 911:

Having just returned from a vacation in northern Wales, I would suggest that at least compared to our drivers in Toronto, those in Wales are very disciplined. We found the pace leisurely, other drivers polite and not of the same impatience as ours here. I assume it's a matter of different bench marks.

Other than sitting on the ''wrong side of the car'' and driving on the ''wrong side of the road'', we had no complaints, and we logged over 1200 miles, mostly rural. Also, the roads, even those which were only paved cart-tracks, were excellent as well.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom