We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat nav

ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Sat nav

Hi,.

I have a sat nav that is about 3 years old. Do I need to update maps for driving through Wales (north and south) or will I get by with the maps that are already on it. Have the roads been upgraded in the last few years?

Thanks in advance.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat nav

I would advise to upgrade your sat nav. It Only takes a few mins, alot of new road changes in north Wales and sure in the south too.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,998 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat nav

There are various road upgrades all around the country. In South Wales for example there is a new bypass for Church Village. In North Wales there is a new bypass for Pothmadog.

However when I upgraded my GPS (a Garmin) they charged £50 and a lot of new roads hadn't been included. So I would say don't bother if it's expensive. I'm sure you will get by fine, expect the GPS to occasionally tell you are driving through a field if you take a bypass.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat nav

To update my sat nav the company wanted a quarterly fee. Within a few years it would have been more cost effective to bin the old one and buy a new one. As you have had yours for a while you will know that you can't always take the info as gospel anyway. Always worth carrying a road atlas [ a few quid from the petrol station] as well imo.

ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat nav

Thanks for the replies. There is a charge of £50 to update my sat nav also and they said there is no guarantee it will fit and may have to purachase a blank sim card to put it on which will cost a further 30 or 40. This happened to a friend of mine recently . So it prob would be cheaper to buy a new one but I think I'll chance it as a have the road atlas too.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat nav

If you have a smart phone there are some very good Sat Nav apps that can be added (some are free too)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sat nav

I wouldn't bother> Sat nav is most useful for cities where you don't have a detailed street atlas, for the countryside it's usually easy to follow the map and the road-signs. Not much will have changed in the last 3 years except for the odd by-pass.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sat nav

<I'll chance it as a have the road atlas too.>

A few years ago that is all we had, and most people seemed to manage fine.:-)

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sat nav

Do not upgrade !!!! I have found that upgrading can often go wrong, particularly if you have European maps installed...... Most road changes are minor, and there is no guarantee that an update will read them anyway.

It is not a big problem if your signal goes dead for 30 seconds or so, you should be able to cope with that.

9. Re: Sat nav

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about North Wales