We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

without a car in North Wales

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
without a car in North Wales

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I'm hoping you can recommend a place I can get to by public transportation from Glasgow on August 26th where I could stay and then the next day pick up an organized day tour to see the UNESCO WHS castles ("Beaumaris, Conwy, Caernarfon, Harlech and the attendant fortified towns at Conwy and Caernarfon") . I have two nights to make this happen.

Then I'm thinking of going from the castles to Cardiff for three nights and from there I need to be in London on August 31st.

Or should I drop this idea for something more sensible?!

Thank you again!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: without a car in North Wales

I am at a loss to see how you can do this as you des tribe it in two days

So if i have got it right.

you want to spend a day out from Glasgow and then stay overnight somewhere south of Glasgow then take an organised trip to North Wales

If you stayed somewhere like Carlisle for example then its about 200 miles to North Wales and that could take four hours in a coach with a stop.

I also think you will find it difficult to find such a specific organised tour from South of Scotland/north of England.

Can I make a suggestion?

give your day trip from Glasgow a miss

Or take the train to Chester and spend the afternoon there and take a tour from there perhaps

If you are keen to see the Castles of North Wales then you need more than one day to see Conwy, Beaumaris and Caernarfon then why not take the train from Glasgow to Llandudno Junction, or Chester

Or Book overnight accomodation in Llandudno and use public transport to visit Conwy, train to Bangor for bus to Caernarfon and Beaumaris.

You stand a better chance of an organised tour starting from the North Wales area

These links might help

www.walledtowns.co.uk/getting_to_walled_towns

This company runs tours from Liverpool and Chester, both would make good overnight stops and relatively easy to get to from Glasgow.

www.busybus.co.uk/north-wales-adventure

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/

Train info

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Edited: 19 June 2013, 09:07
Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
987 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: without a car in North Wales

I'd also suggest Llandudno as a good first port of call in Wales. Then you'll be fairly close to the castles, and have the benefits of a large resort town. There's a frequent train from Crewe either to Llandudno Junction or less frequent to Llandudno.

From Llandudno Junction there's a good train service to Cardiff.

To check out trains, visit http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Chester
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: without a car in North Wales

Hi,

to help where are you picking your trip up from?

As the others have said Chester is on the main rail routes and you would have to go through Chester to get to North Wales by train.

Keith.

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: without a car in North Wales

I apologize for a poorly worded question!

I'm going to be in Glasgow for work finishing my commitments on the evening of August 25th. I need to be in London on August 31st. I'd like to see those North Wales castles and the two towns mentioned, and leave some time for Cardiff.

On the 26th I can travel to whichever town we decide is best to pick up a tour.

I was fishing around in leuca's links (thank you) and here's a tour http://www.busybus.co.uk/wales-from-chester from Chester that looks good to my inexperienced eye. What do you think?

I would be free all day of the 27th and could spend the night, leaving the 28th for Cardiff. I understand that I might not be able to see everything so some prioritizing will be in order.

Thanks to all for trying to figure out what I mean!

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: without a car in North Wales

ooops, they're not running that Busy Bus tour on August 27th, but that's the idea - a nice long day-tour of the sights, preferable more of the UNESCO Castles story but I probably can't be too particular. Thank you again!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: without a car in North Wales

I think if you could get yourself to Conwy or Llandudno you can use the local buses and trains to get to Caernarfon and Beuamaris.

This might help

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186435-i835-k52…

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: without a car in North Wales

I have tried to find a guided tour of the Castles from Llandudno or Conwy, without success.

I might be looking in the wrong place!

If you contact the Tourist Information Centre in Conwy they might help with their local knowledge.

The tourist information centre , the railway station and the castle are very close to each other in Conwy.

You can email them at

Email: conwytic@conwy.gov.uk

www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp…

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
987 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: without a car in North Wales

I find one castle a day is enough. More than that gets tedious, and memories get confused. This may be one reason tours of all the castles are difficult to find.

If you stayed in Llandudno, there are buses to Conwy, which has a great castle. You'll also want to walk around the town walls, and the town layout is still based on its mediaeval origin.

Llandudno also has the Great Orme, old 50s bus goes round it, and there's a cable car and tram to the summit.

It's possible to get by bus from Llandudno to Carenarfon or Beaumaris, but it does take too long to be practical in my opinion.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: without a car in North Wales

I found these two driver guided tour operators if you're willing to pay for a driver: http://www.guidenorthwales.com/driverguide/ and viptravelservices.co.uk/sightseeingtours.html :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: without a car in North Wales

I also found this one: dragon-tours.com/Touring-Wales-Dragon-Tours.… which actually has a price for a private tour: dragon-tours.com/Wales-Touring-Prices.html :)

Get answers to your questions about North Wales