We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions, decisions

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Decisions, decisions

Hi

My wife and two 19yo daughters will be taking our first trip to North Walels next Sept. We are not real outdoor active types but like gentle scenic walks and will want to do the usual sightseeing stuff, eg visit heritage locations eg castles, slate mine, etc and go to Anglesea, Portmerion etc. We also like nice places to eat, drink and (for 3 of us at least) shop.

We have narrowed down our preferred self catering accommodation to 3 choices, in Pwllheli, Caernarfon and Llandudno, respectively. I have listed these in our preference order based purely on the accommdation alone but wonder which location would best meet our requirements.

Thanks

Edited: 15 October 2013, 09:51
Llyn Coastal Path
Scenic Walking Areas
Parys Mountain
Mountains, Scenic Walking Areas, Historic Walking Areas, Historic Sites
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions, decisions

You may have listed them, but haven't disclosed the list.

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions, decisions

Our favourite 3 apartments are in Pwllhelli, Caernaerfon and Llandudno respectively. Its not the actual accommodation I am seeking advice on however just the respective merits of each location as a base given our preferences.

Sorry for any confusion

london
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions, decisions

of the three I'd say Caernarfon is the best location ... Pwllheli is a bit far west and Llandudno a bit far east for where you're wanting to go ... another option might be Bangor and (I think) the shopping might be a little bit better there

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
540 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions, decisions

Hm, I think I'd recommend Llandudno. Much the biggest place of the three and therefore the largest choice of restaurants and shops ( although the range of shops may disappoint you if you live in Edinburgh). All your scenic walks, castles etc are easily at hand, it is a good base whereas Pwllheli is a bit more remote. Caernarfon, I haven't been to for about 45 years so I'm not in a good position to comment on it.

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions, decisions

Thanks Cazinatutu. As you say Caernarfon is the most centrally located - any views as to whether it has any disadvantages (or the others have sufficient advantages) to outweigh the central location?

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions, decisions

Thankfully a lack of shops wont disappoint me. ;-)

london
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decisions, decisions

I haven't been to Caernarfon for a couple of years ... it struck me as a cute place and of course the castle is great and the view across the Menai Strait is lovely, but don't know that it's got that much more going for it ... when I've been through Bangor it seemed more lively, probably because of the university vibe and of course it's very strategic for going over to Anglesey and to Snowdonia ... I'd agree with lelogthecat that Llandudno is a much bigger place with good transport links, wide range of accommodation, right next to Conwy for the castle, and I love driving up Great Orme Head and enjoying the view, etc etc (and shops of course) but from there it's a fair drive to the Lleyn Peninsula and Portmeirion

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Decisions, decisions

Looks like Llandudno then as it offers the best choice for both location and amenities.

Thanks for the advice

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decisions, decisions

Another vote for Llandudno

Its academic really as both Llandudno and Caernarfon are easily accessible and afford good links to Anglesey, Snowdonia, Betws-y-Coed and the Lleyn Peninsular.

Nice places to eat

Here are a few to google

The Black Boy in Caernarfon

The Gazelle on Anglesey for the view

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g552027-d2537…

Beach Cafe at Benllech

The White Eagle at Rhoscolyn,bit pricey , great beach nearby and good walking along the headlands at nearby Trearddur Bay

The Pier Cafe at Beaumaris

The Harp at Abergele, but only if you are in town anyway.

Bangor Pier for great views, and if the cafe is open great scones (Thursday Friday and weekends).

Edited: 17 October 2013, 16:13
london
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decisions, decisions

for tea/coffee and snacks I like the West Beach Cafe at Llandudno, great views out over the river and the coastline

http://www.westshorebeachcafe.com/

Edited: 17 October 2013, 17:08
Get answers to your questions about North Wales