We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

My mom and I are hoping to enjoy some coastal scenery and perhaps a few gentle walks along the coast while in North Wales (early May). Can anyone recommend easily accessible beaches or paths for walking? What are the best places to see puffins or other wildlife - would we need to go to Anglesey for those? We're planning to visit Caernarfon from Conwy, so is there somewhere along that stretch that you'd recommend we stop?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

There's a good coastal cliff top walk from Moelfre to Robin's Hood Bay on Anglesey, and also Newborough Forest and the peninsular in the south west of Anglesey is worth checking out.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 19:04
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

Llandudno gives the option of two shores along which to walk. Or if you just want to walk on a beach try the sands at Penmaenmawr.

Much of the coast from Conwy to Caernarfon is actually on the Straits, has no sand and is not very accessible.

For puffins you really need a boat trip to Puffin Isand off Anglesey. A trip to Beaumaris , for a bracing walk along the front would be worth while and could be combined with such a trip. Or turn left after crossing to Anglesey and visit Plas Newydd and their gardens and walks along the shore of the straits or continue to Newborough Warren for miles of flat easy walks. This part of Anglesey has wonderful views over to Snowdonia, weather permitting

Edited: 05 January 2014, 19:05
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

P.S. you must have heard of Puffin Island off the south east coast of Anglesey? It's famous for it's, erm, Puffins! You can take a cruise on a small boat out around the island. I think most of the boat tours start from Beaumaris, so just do a bit of googling and you should come up with something. ;-)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

You can always tell where people from Liverpool and Chester had their holidays when they were kids! ;-D

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

You are right there Matt, but in addition I lived near Bangor for 12 years as well!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

Leave the A55 t Junction 17 signposted for Conwy Marina

And park up

either by turning left and go past the Golf Club and Aberconwy caravan park and stop in the car park right next to the beach.

Or turn right into the Marina park up and walk along the estuary and onto the beach, great views all around.

Heading East from Conwy leave the A55 at Junction 23 and follow the A547 for about a mile and take a right turn down Beach House Road, there is a large car park near TIDES Bistro and a caravan park. You can access a level tarmacced smooth path that runs from Rhyll to Colwyn Bay

Some great walking on Anglesey , over the headlands at Trearrdur Bay for example

You can drive past Beaumaris and take the toll road to Penmon for good views of Puffin Island and some good walking there but it can be a bit of a scramble

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186442-…

One of the best views IMHO is from Newborough Beach over to the Lleyn Peninsula

Also good walking along the beach and through the pine woods to the Lighthouse.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g552023-…

Please don't miss Bangor Pier, great views over 360*

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186430-…

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

Thanks Matt, Leuca and Chesterbuff! I'm going to follow up on these suggestions and get back with more specific questions.

Matt - Puffins on Puffin Island? Really?!! Not at all what I would have expected ;-) I'll check on those boat tours - that would be fun if we have time.

This might be a naïve question (and why wouldn't it be - as I've never been to Wales, right?), but.... am I correct in thinking that the coastal scenery in North Wales might not be as dramatic (for lack of a better word) as that around, say, Pembrokeshire or Cornwall? Just wondering what to expect!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

It is sorctacular in a different way

It is very varied from rocky cliffs at Trearddur Bay, reminiscent of Cornwall

Sweeping wide sandy beaches such as Benllech , Dunes

Little coves and pebbly beaches.

you cannot compare , but North Wales coastline won't disappoint .

The Menai Straits has beautiful light, the sea is inaccessible in many parts especially around Menai Bridge but it is a beautiful sight from the road to Beuamaris .

Please google " Menai Bridge" and click on images.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 20:55
Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

I've looked at all of the links and info provided above, and have concluded that we definitely need to spend some time on the Isle of Anglesey - it looks lovely. I'd done much more research on Snowdonia and the castles of Wales than on its coastal characteristics (hence my complete ignorance about there even being a Puffin Island!!), so I really appreciate the tips from those of you who know the area so well. You've all pointed me in the right direction for further research. Leuca, your replies have been especially helpful for this and other questions I've posted, but you've all been a great help. Thanks very much!

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best coastal scenery near Conwy?

By the way, I should clarify that by "dramatic" I only meant crashing waves and rocky cliffs. I am quite sure Wales' scenery will not disappoint! :-)