We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

I am doing a course in Beddgelert in May and would like to go from there to the Norfolk Broads. I can't work out whether that would be a difficult drive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which method of transport might be the easiest.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

Your own car is definitely the easist.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,411 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

That's a long way, from one side of the UK to the other and much of it on small roads.

Any reason you want to go all that way and not explore areas that are closer and easier to get to?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

It takes me 6.5 to 7 hours straight driving from east Norfolk to Holyhead, Beddgelert would be about the same distance from Conwy as Holyhead is, so expect it to take you 7 hours. I would go to Conwy, Chester, Manchester, across the N York Moors, down the A1 and on to the A17. This seems an odd northerly route but having tried several, it is the most straightforward and mostly on motorways.

If you smaller prettier roads expect it to take a lot longer.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

Hi Jayne,

The route that I use from North Wales, albeit not Beddgelert, uses mostly non- motorway travel and the subsequent frequent hold ups.

Adapting it for you:- Beddgelert - Capel Curig then A5 toBetws-y-Coed, A470 North to Conwy, A55 to Chester, A51 to Crewe, A500 to Stoke, A50 to M1 south of Nottingham, M1 south to junction 19, A14 to Newmarket. A11 to Norwich and it then depends what part of the Norfolk Broads you want.

The A500, A50 is a great under-used (except at rush hours) dual carriageway for most of its length.

There are of course a lot more picturesque routes but I assume that is not your priority!

Bob

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

Fuchsia's route is one of the better ones

There are several ways to go west to east but none of them are direct.

I have tried most of them over the years going from Liverpool to Norwich including the A50 one that Bob proposes.

I have gone via the M62 to Leeds and you are actually heading away from Norwich for the first hour but then when you pick up the A1 you make good time.

If you want to while away an hour or two of a cold winters night get a map out and plot a route from thevwest to East Anglia, there are so many permutations LOL.

I could offer this suggestion as well.

take the A5 a good scenic route out of Wales pick up the M54 then the M6 then A14 and A11

Depending on the time of day, ( The M6 around Birmingham can get very clogged) it might be worth a slight detour North on the M6 to pick up the M6 Toll road.

Please be aware that there are speed camera at regular intervals on the A1 and the A14 , you can expect them anywhere in the UK but there are one or two sneaky ones on the A14

Edited: 01 March 2014, 09:24
Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

Goodness! I don't know English roads at all. Maybe I'll be taking on too much for what I want to be a fairly relaxing holiday.

Wirewiper, thanks for the reply. I have booked another course in Orkney in June which leaves me two weeks in the middle. I am doing lots of reading about desinations with lots of animals and nature in general, I'm still considering the Norfolk broads and also Northumberland which looks wonderful. Then I will head north through Scotland. For someone who's sick of driving it might be too much. so train travel is definitely still on the list.

thank you to Travelbob, Fuschia and leuca for all those driving details. I'll be back with more questions for sure. Bear with me:)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,411 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

OK it makes a bit more sense now, and the flatness of the Norfolk coast would be a great contrast to mountainous North Wales and the rugged Orkneys. It is still a long cross-country journey though and takes you quite a long way off your route, whereas Northumbria would be more 'en-route' for your journey northwards.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

TBH, althoughNorth Norfolk is a wonderful lonely peaceful place, there is not a lot to see of the actual Broads without a boat,

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

I agree with fuchsia. Unless you want to sit in a pub and watch boat hirers trying to moor or walk some of the footpaths along the rivers (there are very few around the Broads) you are going to be disappointed.

The Broads are great on a boat and there is lots of "non Broads" countryside to see in Norfolk otherwise.

Bob

Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from Beddgelert to Norfolk

Yes the more I read about Northumbria the more I feel that's where I'll head. Just looking for affordable accomodation at the moment. A lot is already booked out.

Get answers to your questions about North Wales